Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Log Cabin & 3" squares


The electricity went off earlier today - while I was in the middle of writing an email. Well, at first it didn't cut off completely, but went on low voltage for some time - low enough to black out my monitor and keyboard! :( I didn't realize it had to do with the voltage - I thought the keyboard was dead!!! I was so sure it was the keyboard, and even told hubby; "we have to buy a new one"! LOL! It's good he is calmer and not a "stress-mouse" like me when things don't work! Even the washing machine stopped working. Silly I - what do I know about electricity?! While waiting for the voltage to be stabilized, I decided to cut some 3" strips from the oldest fabric I have. Even if the voltage was low, the iron did work properly so I was able to iron the fabrics before cutting. The strips look like a mess with all sorts of colors - don't they? They do, because on this project I'm not going to take matching colors into consideration, but use what I have. Most of the fabrics I'm going to use, I got from my friend Ragna in Norway a few years ago. Thanks Ragna! :) While I mopped the porch this morning I decided the swing needs a quilt - so that is what it is going to be! From the 3" strips I'm going to cut them into 3" squares.


Last year I received "Marvellous Machine-Made Quilts" from my penfriend in New Zealand - thanks Jocelyn! :) The magazine has three quilts I would love to make, and this log cabin block is for one of them. I was struck by the colors; blue and yellow. Have I mentioned earlier blue is my favorite color? On this block I have left to do the last four strips around the block, because it needs a little bit of thinking. To each strip I'm going to add a light yellow and dark yellow square, so when completed it looks like a golden star in between the blue log cabin blocks. Then it's about stashing again... I have the light yellow fabric, but not the darker value that is needed! I've had a look at some of my favorite web shops, but so far I haven't succeeded. And YES - I have gone through all my stash - nothing suitable!!! :( Making these blocks goes quite fast. 2,5" / 6,50cm strips are required and the finished block size is 18" / 46cm square. I made 4 blocks last year... And during this weekend I made another 14 - not bad! I haven't figured out how many blocks I need for one sofa though, but making it for two sofas I don't think I have to be in a hurry measuring! It'll take time to finish two big quilts, and this is a project I want to do in between other projects. I still have enough fabric for more blocks, but I know it won't be enough for two quilts.

No comments: