Friday, September 7, 2012

Quilting and needles

Today I finally decided to start quilting the stitchery quilt.
I have spent more than half the day quilting and now it feels like that is enough for today! When I decide on quilting, I can sit the entire day, but of course with many (coffee) breaks in between. :) Now I have yet to decide on how to - if? - quilt the stitchery blocks... 
 
 
I started out with SCHMETZ Quilting needle 90/14, but by experience I knew it wouldn't work as it should. I'm using Superior Threads King Tut #40/3 and Masterpiece 50/3 for the bobbin. Superior Threads recommends needle 90/14, but it seems to me the needle is too thick? For this quilt I'm using Quilter's Dream batting and flannel backing.
Every time I have used needle #90/14, it skips some stitches - and (of course) that happened today too...
Do you see the long stitch? That is what happens... :( This was the 3rd or 4th time I had to unpick - far from happy about that! :(
I changed the needle to GROZ-BECKERT #75/11, which does not cause any skipped stitches at all!
Why does it happen only with the #90/14 needles? Are they really too thick for the three layers? Anyone knows?  
 
 
Can't wait to get this quilt done! I said in an earlier blog post I should not be tempted to start any new projects this year, but then I had to buy some very cute whimsical Christmas panel and fabrics... :) Want to make 4 place mats and one wall quilt out of the panel.... :)
 
Click here, and it takes you to one of the places we went together with my friend J.
 



7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

one day I need to try out free motion. I had given it a try - once - on a little square to practice and never got back to trying again - I do need to learn so I can catch up on my many quilt tops that I have and just save some for hand quilting.

quilton said...

Astrid, I tried using the 90/14 needles too and gave up. The hole is much too big and I just didn't like the looks of my quilting when I was finished. I went back to the needles recommended for my quilting machine. The look is much, much nicer and I'm happier.

Karen said...

This is a lovely looking quilt. Hope you sort out your needle problems.

Rosemary Dickinson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rosemary Dickinson said...

The same thing has happened to me when I've used a different sized needle. I can't remember the exact size but was totally frustrated! I just stick to my usual size needles but I don't understand how the needle size could cause so many problems.

Heather said...

pretty color combos, very nice quilt.

Heather in needles n crafts group

Lappedamen said...

Nydelig quilt. Dette har hendt meg også, men jeg visste ikke at det hadde noe med tykkelse på nålen å gjøre. Takk for tipset.