Thursday, February 28, 2013

Some NewFO finishes in February

Those of you who read my blog regularly, know that we have had a lot of rain this month. Then we had two sunny days and guess what happened yesterday; rain in the morning! Yesterday I started working in our 'jungle' garden early, to avoid the heat later in the day. I managed to do quite a lot, before it started raining.... Oh well, it is the rainy- and cyclone season, so what else to expect?! :)
 
All the rain means indoor activities; sewing. If you read my previous post, you know I have been working on some UFO's and even finished two.
I always get a bit bored working on UFO's... well, not exactly because they are UFO's, but I think the finishing process is a bit boring... I love to cut fabric and sew the small pieces together! The boring job has to be done to get a project done, doesn't it?! :)
 
I'm quite sure these bunnies have been playing hide and seek with me! It's soon Easter, so no doubt! :) I finished it (the binding) beginning of January. Then I was going to take photos of it, but as I can recall the weather wasn't the best for taking photos, so I put it away. Out of sight - out of mind. It reappeared when I had to move the finished quilt tops (UFO's), it was hiding under all the UFO's!
 
 
Aren't those bunnies cute?
 
 
Quilting; the squares are cross-hatched and I've done FMQ on the borders/stripes. The quilt is washed to get the lovely crinkled look.
 
 
The Easter / Spring table runner I started earlier this month, is finished.
 
 
Lots of fun doing the set-in pieces. The stems on the lilies were supposed to be fabric, instead I used ric-rac. Love how that turned out.
 
 
As you may have noticed already, I have done the quilting different this time. I have used patterns from The Electric Quilt Company's Quilting Design (printable stencils). It's the very first time I'm trying it and I love the result. What do you think?
This is the center piece.
 
 
The piece under the basket... a leaf pattern too.
The daffodils triangles are FMQ.
GOSH how wonky it looks! It doesn't look that bad in real! :0 I'm using a wide angle lense on my camera, which creates funny photos sometimes. :) If you take a look at the table runner, it looks like it is wider on the middle, doesn't it?  
 
 
... and a teapot cozy to match the table runner...
 
 
I still have some pieces of the daffodils fabric left, so there's a chance for a couple of mug rugs! :)
 
I worked on the pink baby quilt yesterday afternoon. The quilting is done and now it is ready for the binding. Not sure what I'm going to work on now... I will continue with the UFO's, but in between some NewFO's! :)  
 
 
 

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have EQ but I must admit I rarely use it, I didn't know there were stencils I will have to take a look.

Hilachas said...

All of your projects are so interesting and pretty. I have the same problem with my camera. Funny how it distorts the blocks or quilts some times. You accomplish so much and do gardening too. WTG!

Oops-Lah said...

Cute Easter Quilt! And I agree with you wholeheartedly about not enjoying finishing quilts. I also love to start a quilt; the choosing of the fabrics, the cutting and making the blocks. But I do not like to sew the blocks together at all and I can't say I like the quilting process. I guess that's the reason for an ever increasing pile of UFOs!

Trines hobby said...

Stoffet ditt med harepuser var bare helt nydelig! Quilten ble bare såå søt:)

InGa said...

Enig med Trine ( som faktisk bor i min födeby...)at de harepusene var bare for söte.
Så smart å bruke de til borden. Toppen.Og påskeduken med tekannevarmeren ble kjmpefine.
Har ikke prövd å sy etter quiltemönster enda, men det er en förste gang for alt...
Ha en fin dag i regnet. Her skinte solen i 2 timer... :-)

Maricarmen said...

Recently I'm starting my new year ... And reading your blog I discover that in a few days is Easter! OMG! ...
I love your two jobs ... Can I do something similar?

Karen said...

Your quilt is lovely. I really like the fabric in the borders with the rabbits.

Carrie P. said...

Astrid, I just love your bunny quilt. That border is so sweet.
And your table runner and tea cozy, so sweet. The rick rack is perfect and so is your quilting design. Nice job!
The finishing part is not always my favorite part either but it has to get done sometime. LOL