Saturday, January 18, 2020

Scrappy Lap Quilt, getting it ready to quilt

A couple of weeks ago I got the wide (108") backing for the scrappy lap quilt. 
If you read my previous post you can easily imagine how 'fun' it is to empty the table to get ready sandwiching the three layers together. 


The backing may not look wide on the photo, but it is double! 


UGH! How easy is it to deal with this width?!
Do you see the carton boxes to the upper left? That's the cat's! He loves them, uses to sleep in one and sometimes just hide in one of them, jumps out and scare the heck out of mama! lol


Done! Cut to size on width and length! 


Now to the batting. UGH!! (again!) Not wide enough, have to add a piece to one side. 


I could have used 'Heat Press' tape, but find it much easier to do zigzag on bigger pieces. Trim each peace (with a ruler) to straight edges and the zigzag goes easy-peasy! 


Done, and almost not visible! 


To avoid the backing to pucker, I always tape it to the table before sandwiching the three layers together


It's ready to be sandwiched. I forgot to take photos after I pinned and thread basted the three layers together.
Update (since the photos were taken): it is quilted! Only left to quilt the outer border and then add the binding. 

5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looks like you made fast work of it

Chantal said...

Well done. Looking forward to more photos after binding. ;^)

Barb N said...

Silly me - the first photo you show, I thought was the entire quilt. And I liked it! Just off-set enough to create interest.

Karen S said...

Well done getting on top of the quilting. Lovely to be only waiting for the binding to be done.

Birthe Marie said...

Så nydelig! Det var så harmonisk i fargene og veldig fint satt sammen. :-)