Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Star Burst Mystery Quilt


I'm doing a 'mystery quilt'!
Susan-Claire at 'Gourmet Quilter' is doing a 'mystery quilt' called 'Star Burst'.
I have never done any 'mystery quilt' before, so I thought I'll give it a try. Susan-Claire suggests black background fabric, but I have chosen charcoal - kind of marble - and 12 contrasting fabrics. She suggests olive and dark blue as two of the contrasting fabrics, but I found them not contrasting enough to the charcoal, so I'm using dusty blue and chartreuse insted.


The 'mystery quilt' started in the beginning of March, but since I've been busy with other projects, it was first a couple of days ago I did part 1 - the stars - 12 blocks.


I did part 2 over the last couple of days. PHEW!!! That was a lot of cutting! If I've done the mathematic right, part 2 consists of 336 pieces!
When I had done part one, I was a bit 'worried' the quilt would concist of stars only, but then part 2 came with a nice surprise! I do love this block - quite untraditional - if you ask me. Now I can't wait for part 3 that comes in the beginning of May! I've never done any quilt with black background, but after doing part 1 and 2, I find it interesting and I'm sure it's going to be a nice quilt! I'm quite excited about it! :)
Thanks to Sigrun who introduced me to it! :)


During the weekend I did - basted - the binding to the 'disappearing 9-patch' quilt. When I intended to sew the binding, Birre-liten decided the flannel (backing) is just so soft and wonderful to sleep on! He'd spent the whole day outside - must have been exhausted - so I let him sleep there and did some tidying instead. :)

8 comments:

Angelikas quilts and knits said...

det ser rigtig spaendende ud :-)

Nat Palaskas said...

Wow, what a lovely background fabric! What is hand dyed fabric? I like the look of this quilt so far. I will keep an eye on the progress - Hugs Nat

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

this is going to be an interesting looking quilt I think with the dark background and these colors!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Sharon said...

The background is an unexpected design! I like the pops of color too

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Det ser spennende ut; koksgrått er en perfekt "nøytral"!

Dirt Lover said...

I've never done a mystery before. Yours is coming along quite nicely. I look forward to seeing it progress. I like your cat!
~~Lori

Joanne said...

Your kitty is adorable. My cats love to "help" me quilt and think that each one is for them !!

Sigrun said...

Så flink du har vært! Jeg er fremdeles ikke ferdig med del 2, men nærmer meg:-)). Men jeg har jobbet på et annet prosjekt som har tatt en del tid. Regner med å komme sterkere tilbake. det blei flott med koksgrått som bakgrunn.