Saturday, May 8, 2010

One of those days.....



Yesterday was one of those days when almost everything went wrong...
I started the morning with a very bad headache, so perhaps I shouldn't have touched the rotary cutter or sewing machine at all...
I mentioned in my previous post I want to make a lap quilt for a lady in Norway. I decided to use fabric from the Cider Mill Road collection - Art to Heart.
Some years ago I bought Marti Mitchell's book; "Log Cabin ABC", so nothing was supposed to go wrong - I thought! Marti always cut strips of fabric on the lengthwise grain for log cabin blocks, providing extra stability when sewing and pressing...
Piece of cake - I thought - and forgot about doing that when I started cutting! All the strips I cut are on crosswise grain... That is how it started....


Happily I cut the strips; blues, yellows and pinks/dark red. I was so engrossed in the idea of using blues on one side and yellow/pink on the other side, so I completely forgot the "rule" of light and dark colors...
The first block didn't turn out OK, because of one fabric (color) that didn't fit in where I placed it. Unpick! :(
Above is the second block... Blues on one side and yellow/pink/red and the last strip brown on the other side. This is not how I meant it to be...
Should I remove the dark red and brown strips? I don't have any other light color (pink) I can replace the dark with...
Dear friends and readers out there - your opinion/suggestion is much appreciated!

 ******************

Today I've been busy with house work, and I even managed to re-do the kitchen curtains.
To be on the safe side - after yesterday's experience - I didn't touch the log cabin strips! Instead I added the last border to the Split Hourglass quilt. I followed Zarina and Karen's suggestions to make a scrappy border and this is how it turned out.

I've used the same reds, blues and green to make the scrappy border.
Didn't it turn out great? I think so! :))
Thanks for the suggestions - Zarina and Karen!

11 comments:

Nat Palaskas said...

I love log-cabin and I can't see anything wrong with the block! If you are not happy about it, remove it. You can always do that later.
I like the scrappy border for the Hourglass quilt. Very happy quilt - Love it - Hugs Nat

Sequana said...

From just looking at the pic, I'd be apt to try to find a couple fabrics as light as your little center block there and replace those last two really dark logs.

It might help - you won't know til you try it.

PJs Lapperier said...

Stackars Dig..otursdag verkligen!
Jag tycker blocket ser helt ok ut faktiskt. Den nedre toppen är helt suveränt läckert fin.

Sandra Henderson said...

I found your blog through another, so glad I did! I'm an island girl too! lol Mine if off the coast of Georgia, a Sea Island, barrier island.
I have never made a log cabin, but I am so into the scrappy look, I don't follow too many rules. If it were me I would not worry about it and keep going, but I have no experience with knowing what the end result will be. sorry.
Such lovely work you do! :)

Dirt Lover said...

Astrid, I would not take them apart if it were me. I like the look that you have, and the quilt police shouldn't make you feel that you have to conform to any rules. Maybe you could make another block like it???? Give it a friend, perhaps???
~~Lori

ria vogelzang said...

still I love the way your log-cabin block turned out to be!! So maybe you started wrong but you surely ended allright!!
And your Split Hourglass is just gorgious! I would love to have the time to make one! It is on my "want-to-do"-list.... ;))
Enjoy your day!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love how you did your scrappy border on the hour glass! For the log cabin as it is scrappy I think the colors you choose are great. It will all come together nicely as you make more of them.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Vicki's Bit-o-earth said...

I have very little experience with quilting, and no knowledge of the rules, but I like the dark red and brown strips. I'm certain you'll find a great answer that will turn it into a beautiful piece. (: The split hourglass is beautiful too. xxxVicki

Lappedamen said...

Jeg synes din log cabin blokk er helt flott. Ingen vits i å sprette av den røde og brune raden. Timeglass quilten er kjempeflott.

Janet C said...

Don't take it apart!! It looks great as it is. Stick to your original idea! ;)

julieQ said...

Wow, your quilt turned out just beautifully!! I love your log cabin, it is perfect to me.