Sunday, March 23, 2014

WIP's and UFO's

Do we ever get rid of them? I don't think so!
I admire - no, better say I'm in awe for those quilters who start a project and work it all through to the finish without starting a new project before the one they work on is finished. Tell me, are you able to do it? Tell me honestly! :) 
Speaking for myself, I tend to work on one project at a time. That said, I have several other WIP's and 'f course' those famous UFO's that sits there forever. Does it sound familiar?! I'm sure it does! :)  I can work on one item only, but seldom do I work from start to finish without working on another project - or two - in between. 

If you read my previous post, you know I have been working on a custom order - a teapot cozy and four placemats. They are finally done this morning and should go in the mail one of the first days. (That will be another post). 
Last week was not without a little 'drama'. First I realized I didn't have enough batting to finish the custom order. To purchase batting from the US (don't get cotton batting here), minimum shipping time is about 2 weeks and it may take up to 5-6 weeks. Got in touch with my dear (quilting) friend here and luckily she had the batting I needed! Thank you dear Elzaan, you saved my day! :) 
The day I got the batting, my dear 'Nina' decided enough is enough and refused to sew! :( I'm not very technical, but I understood something was wrong with the feed dogs; everything worked, except it didn't want to sew. The feed dogs worked up and down, but not forward or backwards (not sure if these are the right words?). Had to get in touch with the dealer in Port Louis and he said most probably it is a broken spring.... 
Poor hubby had to take that heavy monster - by bus - to Port Louis the next day! Luckily it was only a broken spring and the dealer managed to fix it temporally and has ordered a new spring from Switzerland. Phew! Relieved it was just a minor issue!

Not much I could do while waiting for 'Nina'... I cut some coffee fabrics for a table runner...
Love those coffee fabrics!


... and tread basted 4 placemats, now ready to be quilted.


I've done 4 more blocks for the PSQ.
Now I have 18 blocks - 36 2.5 inch squares per block - 648 squares sewn together. 


These UFO's were suddenly staring at me!  I know! I know! Christmas in March! Haha! 
A pair of potholders I didn't finish last year because I didn't have enough insul bright. Now they are quilted and ready for the binding. (Wonder where that fabric is??) 


A teapot cozy I was supposed to finish last year too, but for same reason; not enough insul bright. 


I'm not sure what I will work on today. If I find the fabric for binding the potholders, I think I will finish them and then perhaps continue with the teapot cozy... I shall see. Usually I get sidetracked.... :) 

Craving for cranberry muffins..... Think I'll have to do something about that.....




3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I can never work on one project at a time, I think I have 6 projects going right now and at least 3 or 4 more in my head LOL - I might have forgotten a project you can never tell. I never call them UFO's though they are WIP as I am always working on one, go from one to another sometimes one just sits longer than the others! Sorry you had machine problems and so glad you found batting.

thebutterflyquilter said...

I usually work on one project at a time. I know I am one of those but this past week I have three started! So I am on a roll!

Karen said...

Looks like you have had a frustrating time. Hope it all works out quickly for you.