Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Quilting the Scrappy Green

HAPPY TUESDAY!

Tuesday is at its end this side of the globe, but for some of my readers Tuesday is about to begin. 
If you read my previous post, you know I had to order thread for quilting the 'scrappy green'. I finally got the thread yesterday, after the package was stuck in local custom for one week. I could have gone to pick it up, but no way do I bother to line up in the heat and humidity to get a package of thread! I'm not in a hurry to get the quilt done! 


I started the quilting last night. As you can see, it is possible to quilt a big quilt on a normal throat size machine. It took me some time getting the hang to it, but as it is said; 'practice makes perfect'! I won't say the quilting is perfect though; I do the best I can and if I'm not happy with some stitches, there's always a seam ripper next to 'dear Nina'! :)


When doing such a big quilt, I always start from the center. As you can see on the photo above, one half is quilted and I have just started on the second half, hence the folded part of the quilt.


It went very smooth to quilt this one. For me, the trick is not to quilt more than a square of 6-7 inches at the time and keep the quilt 'loose' on all sides so it is easy to move. 


I'm not thrilled about the color of the King Tut I have used. On the color chart it looks 'medium/light' green, but on the quilt I find it a bit dark on the cream and on some of the light green squares. I could have come up with a more creative quilting pattern instead of loopy swirls and chosen a matching color on the cream fabric, but........... well, I wanted to get it done without too must fuss! :) Done is done and I can't change it now! Overall, I'm happy with it! 

Now to take care of some thread ends and prepare the binding.

HAPPY QUILTING! 

9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

great job - I think a lot of people make the quilting harder than it needs to be and spend a lot of money having others do their quilting for them

Sharon said...

What a beautiful quilt! Love the scrappy look. :)

Trines hobby said...

Det er ikke så enkelt å quilte en stor quilt på en liten symaskin! Lurt å ta små områder så ikke arbeidet blir så tungt å jobbe med:)

Chantal said...

So close to the end. Congrats! I say it is lovely and you did a great job with the quilting. So there! Pat on the back for you girl. Enjoy! ;^)

Unknown said...

Beautiful fabrics in your "green scrappy". I love everything about this quilt and I can't wait to see the finish photos.

Susan M said...

Beautiful! I love all those different shades of green. Another cohesive scrappy!

Unknown said...

I like it! Green is my favorite color.

Karen S said...

Great work on your lovely quilt. It is amazing what can be achieved on a normal machine!

Liz Brown said...

I think it looks great, and yay, it is getting finished! I also often have to quilt larger quilts on my smaller machine. It takes some practice and learning, but it can be done.