Sunday, September 26, 2010

Split Hourglass quilt, Pinwheels, and a cold

If it hadn't been for that darn cold I caught last week, I had managed to do much more this week! I had an appointment in Port Louis (the capital) last Friday, and afterwards we met up with Elzaan. Thanks for a great day out, Elzaan! The day before, we agreed to meet at one of the craft shops - and so we did. (Silly me forgot to take some photos!) I got all the items on my shopping list, and I even got "shishas" - mirrors!
If you don't have to stay in Port Louis, you do your best to get out of there before the rush over that starts already at around 2 o'clock in the afternoon.
This is the motorway through Port Louis, taken at noon. A couple of hours later it is jam packed.


Before I caught the cold, I finished the Split Hourglass quilt! Hurray! The pattern is from a magazine, but I have changed the outside border using scraps instead on one fabric. Comparing it to the original pattern, I think my version looks more lively by using colorful scraps.


I didn't get much done this week. Having a cold with a dripping nose and coughing, are not the ideal time to spend crafting. I received the fabric for the Pinwheel quilt some time ago, so all I managed to do over the last week was to finish the Pinwheel top.

This quilt is made of one layer cake and some extra yards for the pinwheels and borders. I've used "Evening Mist" from Sentimental Studios - very beautiful fabric. If you want a closer look at the fabrics, click here. The fabric for the pinwheels and narrow border is from my scraps.

I'm currently working on a cross-stitch Christmas ornament as well as a few other things that are Christmas gifts - top secret! :))

HAPPY CRAFTING!

12 comments:

Bjørg said...

I like very much the quilts you have finished lately!! Keep going!

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hello Astrid...you have done well seeing you weren't feeling that good!!! Big Hug to get better...Dzintra♥x

siv hege said...

You`ve got a Mauritius cold and I`ve got a Norwegian one. I bet they feel the same. Love your quilts! PS. Check out my super duper give away :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Love the quilt - it is so colorful - very good job.
I notice only 90 days left until Christmas where has the time flown!
Nice to be able to meet your friend I will check out her blog.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Shanny Khoo said...

WOW! What lovely quilts... :D Yes it does looks livelier with colour scraps! :)

Wish I have time to even finish my current XS now. Have a few projects in mind but am afraid that the intended reciever will never get it since I don't have time to finish it! LOL!

Michelle said...

Sorry to hear you've been sick! I hope you are well on your way to recovered.

Oh that Split Hourglass quilt is simply gorgeous. I agree, the scrappy border really keeps with the scrappy theme. Gives it more zing.

The pinwheel quilt is coming along nicely as well.

Elzaan said...

Always a pleasure spending time with you! I had a great day as well. Hope you recover soon enough!
Your work is amazing. Even while you where sick, you still managed to do a lot. Great job!
Elzaan

Nat Palaskas said...

I'm glad you got shisha mirror pieces ready for your embroidery. That quilt split hourglass is really happy and lively I agree - Hope you are feeling - Hugs Nat

Joanne said...

Both of the quilts are gorgeous but I especially the Split Hourglass. What magazine did you find the pattern in? Sorry to hear you have been sick. Are you better yet?

Elisabeth said...

Hi Astrid. Where do you get all the time from? I do not think that I will be able to make so many quilts in short time as you do. By the way, those quilts are just lovely :-) God bedring med forkölelsen!

Elisabeth

Sparky said...

Your hourglass quilt is beautiful as is the photo of it...I like scrap borders vs plain...more work but more applause...blessings msamm

Fleurette said...

I love both your completed quilts, goodness Astrid where do you find the time, you amaze me. Hope you are better now!