Sunday, January 26, 2020

Scrappy Quilting and Rainy Week

It has been a wet week weather wise. We had a 'cyclone warning class 3' caused by Moderate Tropical Cyclone 'Diane'. 'Class 3' means 'no venture out'. 'Diane' passed 40 km (24.85 miles) off the North coast before 04:00 a.m. Saturday morning and we did not even hear the wind or rain! Luckily it was not a strong cyclone; no flooding or other damages in our area.

I've been super busy with a couple of my scrappy UFO's and happy to say I have a FINISH!

   
This is my UFO #10 (my UFO list) and #2 (January challenge) for the APQ and Quiltsy Team UFO Challenge


The centre is made up of 504 squares, all from swaps I've done earlier. For the 116 pinwheels blocks, I have used 'ugly' fabric from my stash. Hmm.... Actually they don't look that ugly now! It is said all fabric are beautiful in small pieces. I think that is true! Oh, and the brown sashing and border is also from my scraps. 


I only had to buy the 108" backing fabric; a beautiful beige with tiny seaweeds pattern.

Friday we had the 'no venture out' (class 3) warning. While waiting for the storm to pass, I attacked another UFO, one of my 'insanity' project. Who told me some years ago I should cut rectangles 1.5 x 2.5 inches?! (I think I'm a bit lunatic!) Well, I can only blame myself, because I try not to throw fabric pieces that can be used. 


I'm pleased with the progress; two rows and the sashing. 


A fun 'I spy' quilt; do you spot the deer and the gingerbread man? 


It takes a little bit of time to piece the tiny rectangles together, but when that is done the rest goes rather quickly. Fun to rediscover fabric I had totally forgotten. I didn't have enough rectangles to finish another row. I still have some cut, but not enough to finish two more rows. No worries, I have plenty more strips to cut! :) 


Aren't these fabrics pretty? The fabric line is 'Zen' by Makower UK and I think they are OOP long time ago. I don't know how many times these fabrics have been in and out of the shelves and never have I come up with what to make, until yesterday....
...but that is going to be another blog post! :) 

HAPPY QUILTING SUNDAY! 





6 comments:

Chantal said...

I love your scrappy quilt. It will be such a great fabric study in a hundred years from now. ;^)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your scrappy quilts and finishing that top one off with pinwheels is a great idea - and yes cut small enough enough the ugliest fabric no longer looks ugly!! Great progress on your scrappyness!

Elzaan said...

Well done on the finish! Great to have that one ticked of the lists :)
Great work and good luck on the next project...and the next one (before or) after that.
You had no wind or rain from the storms? We had reasonable rain and some strong gusts, and short CEB outages on our side. I guess the mountain was your friend this time. Glad you have no damage.

Marit Johanne said...

That's the good thing with bad weather forecast, as longa as the bad weather don't come, it gives time to work on craft projects! Lovely scrappy quilt.

Karen S said...

Lovely to see your wonderful finish.
And great to see you making the most of your time if you have to be at home with the weather warnings.

MooseCarol said...

Your scrappy quilts are wonderful and they make me smile! It rained hard here today.