Monday, March 2, 2020

APQ UFO Challenge March and February Finish

It's March already, and another UFO to finish. 
APQ UFO Challenge this month, is #7. For me, that means 'Log Cabin #3' (Updated UFO list; #18). GEEZ! Looks like I can't make anything else than log cabin quilts! LOL Seriously, I love log cabin quilts! The more scrappy, the better! Such a great way to use up some of the 1.5 inch fabric strips I've been cutting and hording for some years. 


So this is #7. (Blog post here
I purchased the backing earlier this year and have the batting as well. I'm eager to finish it and since I don't have anything else important to work on these days, I think I'll empty the table and get going today itself!  

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!! 

UFO Challenge for February is FINISHED! 


Scrappy log Cabin Quilt, measures approximately 80 x 80 inches.


For the back I have used a gorgeous Stonehenge wide backing


I used the Stonehenge fabric for the binding too. 
How do you do the binding on large quilts; do you hand or machine sew to the back? I used to hand sew, but now I let the machine do it. 

HAPPY QUILTING! 

9 comments:

Elzaan said...

I still hand sew the back of my binding - both large and small quilts. Machine stitching doesn't sound like a bad idea...;)

Lovely log cabin quilts!

Jane, Mulberry Patch Quilts said...

I love log cabins too, Yours are beautiful!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

well you know me I do most of my work by hand because it is neater than my machine work!! I tried machine stitching binding on a small table topper to see if I could do it and it wasn't all that neat

Chantal said...

Congratulations for accomplishing your February goal. That quilt is so awesome. I love how it wants to make believe it is plaid fabric. Love it! Good luck for your March Goal.
I love to hand sew my binding to the back. Up here in Canada, one really doesn't mind having a big thick quilt on her lap to sew, lol. ;^)

StephsQults said...

Wow Astrid, I don't know how you manage such big quilts on your small machine! Well done, both are fantastic. Now I want to get stuck into my scraps and make another log cabin too!

Carol Ethier said...

Absolutely stunning, and so inspiring, Astrid! Congratulations on their completion!

JM in Toronto said...

Great log cabin quilt!

If I'm making a baby quilt or a donation quilt, I usually stitch the binding to the back, turn it to the front and use a machine decorative stitch (either a blanket stitch or a 3-step zig zag that looks like a little scallop) to stitch down the binding on the right side of the quilt. It's faster than hand stitching and more durable for quilts that will be washed a lot.

When doing something I want to be reversible (like table runners and placemats), I do stitch to the front and turn to the back for tiny hand stitching. It takes (a lot) longer, but the back looks just as good as the front.

Karen S said...

That sure is a big quilt. It looks wonderful!!

Barwitzki said...

I am verry impressed. Beautiful cabin quilt. So beautiful - I like it very much.
I think I have to get my swing machine out :-)))
Greetings to you. Have a great week. Viola