Friday, January 17, 2014

It's a beginning! Postage Stamp Quilt Charm Swap 2012-2013 and a new project

Over the last couple of years I have participated in the Postage Stamp Quilt Charm Swap hosted by Mary over at The Curious Quilter
My swap partners are from the US, Canada, Australia, Croatia, Sweden and a couple of private swaps from Germany and Malaysia. 
In 2012 & 2013 I didn't have time to start working on these squares. At the end of last year, after the last 2013 swap, I decided I will work on them from the beginning of this year. So far I have kept my promise! :) 
Well, it is not fully true that I didn't work on the squares last year; I did sort about 400 squares on colors. It's a tedious job, I got bored and put it all away. Christmas and New Year came and went and  in the beginning of January I pulled out all the packages containing 100 squares of 2.5 inch each. 


Here are some of them...


About 3000 2.5 inch charms sorted on colors


A couple of weeks ago I started sewing some of the charms together


7 blocks - 36 squares in each blocks - 252 squares - so far! :) 

I hate plans (they always fail!), but I hope to do one block per day or 2-3 blocks per week. I still have yet to decide on size and how I want to assemble the blocks

I've had these beautiful layer cakes sitting on the shelf since 2009/2010 (if not mistaken)!!!  The idea was to make Bunny Hill's 'A Tisket, A Tasket', but that never happened! 


The layer cakes are

1) Aviary by 3 Sisters
2) Beach House by Blackbird Designs

My idea is to cut each 10 inch squares into four 5 inch squares, mix them all and make a twin quilt - 54 x 90 inches - but that may change! :) Whatever it turns out to be, I have to buy backing... in spite of being on SSD! (Strict Stash Diet!) :) 

I have yet to take photos of several items I've finished this month; hope to do that during the weekend. 




6 comments:

Sil said...

I love your postage stamp quilt!

Hilachas said...

Well, Astrid, I also have lots of those 2.5 inch squares and have begun sewing them together. The ones I've made so far are 8 x 8. Now I have to make a plan. You're moving right along with yours and I'm anxious to see your finished top.

Karen said...

That's a lot of tiny squares. Good luck with your plans.

Quiltgal said...

Oh Astrid, I love your postage stamp quilt blocks. Have you checked out Jenny Doan at the Missouri Star Quilt company. She has a couple of new You Tube videos using layer cakes, making a disappearing pinwheels. Really easy and cute.

Kitchener Quilter said...

Love your charm postage stamp quilt. You've inspired me to start cutting my scraps into 2.5" squares and start collecting them. What a great idea.

quilton said...

Good luck on the SSD. I'm doing the same thing this year Astrid and was proud of myself when I was in the quilt shop yesterday and walked away with nothing.