Tuesday, April 17, 2018

En Provence and other UFOs

JEEZ! Where did the last 3 weeks go?! I must have been busy! 

First of all, THANK YOU EVERYONE who left a comment on 'which color on border' to choose on my scrappy UFO! You can see the UFO here. All good choices! I have yet to decide, but I'm leaning towards black or the dark blue.... 

Yes, I have been busy and I have worked on some of my UFO's.
I have a flimsy and that is Bonnie Hunter's 'En Provence'!


This is the very first time I do a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt. My goodness!!! All those small pieces! lol It took me almost one week (marathon sewing) to do 'unit 2 - 7' before assembling the quilt! Color combination outside my comfort zone, but I do love how it turned out! 


I had already done 'unit #1': 221 scrappy 3 inch (sewn into quilt) neutrals 4-patches (beginning last year, I think it was?). I did the required 221 4-patches because I thought I was going to make it the original size. At that point I didn't continue, because a) I got bored with it and b) I didn't have many purples and the 'right' greens. I purchased a few fabrics (last year), but didn't feel for working on it. It was put aside, and yes, it became a UFO! 
Bonnie's original 'En Provence' measures 87" x 87" and consists of 16 blocks, that's huge! I decided to shrink it a bit and made 9 blocks and it measures about 70" x 70". This size, it will be much easier to quilt on 'dear Nina'. Batting and backing is ordered and I hope to get it in about 3-4 weeks. Yes, shipping takes that long from the US to the middle of nowhere in the Indian Ocean! 

I finally got the backing for Pat Sloan's 'Grandma's Kitchen' . 


 I took several pics showing the backing, but clever me managed to delete those pics before they were transferred to the computer! DUH! Thread basted and ready to be quilted. 


Red and white #2 is also thread basted and ready to be quilted.

Have you ever tried the 'Bloc Loc' ruler? It is said to be 'the best quilting innovations since the ruler'!


 I purchased 2 different sizes; 2.5 and 3.5 inch (they are available in different sizes). 
I'm using the 2.5" one for the pinwheel blocks I'm making for this scrappy quilt 


I made some blocks this weekend and after getting used to the Bloc Loc ruler, I'm convinced I 'can't live without it'! lol More to trim, as you can see! :) 



UFO's are put aside this week since I have a custom order to work on. 

A set of 4 blue and white place mats are done


and available in my Etsy Shop
https://www.etsy.com/listing/590524364/quilted-placemats-blue-yellow-place-mats


WISHING YOU A WONDERFUL WEEK AND HAPPY QUILTING! 

**************************************************************************************
Follow Red Needle Quilts on Social Media:


**************************************************************************************



10 comments:

StephsQults said...

Oh my goodness Astrid, you have been busy with some amazing piecing, love the Bonnie Hunter 'en provence' I have that one in a book of hers and was too daunted to even attempt it! Well done you. And I agree, I couldn't manage HSTs any more without my bloc loc ruler, they are a life saver, I have a few different ones now, love them all.

Elzaan said...

Oh my! That is a beautiful quilt! I can see why it took you some time to complete the top. Bravo!
Great to have 2 quilts basted and ready to be quilted. It is nice to know the hands have something to do when it is unbearable outside (sun or rain).

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your quilt looks great, I have actually only made one Bonnie Hunter quilt but I love them all! I need to make more of them.

PatsPassion said...

Your mystery quilt is gorgeous! I love the "pop": it has.

Barb Neiwert said...

Wow - your En Provence is a stunner! I can definitely see the time involved on that one. And your sampler quilt is pretty. And the red and white quilt. My goodness, I love them all!

MooseCarol said...

You have been busy indeed! Beautiful work

Donna Croff said...

Astrid - you are amazing and an inspiration to us all. Your work is wonderful and inspiring. Thank you!

Pamela said...

Wonderful creations! I adore those placemats, I bet they sell quickly!

peggy said...

I love the Bonnie Hunter and the fabrics look great together. Beautiful work!

Karen S said...

Lovely work on the Bonnie Hunter quilt. great colours.
Lovely to know your backing arrived and is ready to use. And it looks like you will be busy finishing the red and white quilt.
Looks like you will be busy,
.