Thursday, May 20, 2010

Log Cabin blocks and Mystery Quilt


It has been a while since my last post about the log cabin block I made and didn't feel confident with. Since then, I have made approx 40 blocks. The first plan was to make a lap quilt for my dear friend Johnny's mother (in Norway). She's moving house soon, so I thought a lap quilt would be nice...


This is how my sewing table looks like these days! I know I have blocks enough for one lap quilt, but while I was sewing, I decided to use all the 'Cider Mill Road' fabrics I have. That means it will be blocks enough for two lap quilts - one for me too! :)


To those of you who said I shouldn't unpick the first block; I did unpick it! We didn't become friends! :) After sewing quite some blocks, I'm becoming more confident in how to make the blocks. The photo above shows how I do it now; decide on fabric, then cut the strips and sew. It makes it much easier this way.


I wasn't friend with the blocks on the top right corner on this photo, so after I took the photo I unpicked and rearranged the last two strips.
I've ran out of 3-4 fabrics already and had to replace them with other fabrics from 'Art to Heart'. I'm not sure how many more blocks there will be when I've used most of the fabrics... It should be enough for two lap quilts and perhaps a table runner too... :)
I wonder how easy - or how difficult it will be adding the blocks together, so that they make a pattern....

Do you remember this? The Star Burst Mystery Quilt by Susan-Claire over at Gourmet Quilter.
Part 3 was published May 1st. Here they are; 12 star blocks. They are the same as part 1, but smaller.


Now I'll have to wait until June 1st for part 4...

12 comments:

Wendy said...

Very beautiful!

ria vogelzang said...

Your log-cabins blocks look great! These are going to make two beautiful lap-quilt!
I really love the way you use the fabrics!

Stephanie in Michigan said...

You are making some beautiful blocks! Both are great!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you always have to go with what YOU like!! I know sometimes I ask for opinions and then say no I'll do it this way.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Nat Palaskas said...

Astrid, they are coming along together very nicely. I particularly like the one with teal blue blocks. You have to call these quilt double log-cabin 1 and 2!
If you have some strips left, why not try weaving them hahaha!
Are you putting any quilt in the Blogger's Quilt Festival start this Saturday? Hugs Nat

The Heart of Paul said...

Hey is that a parquet table? How nice!

Kjerstis løse tråder said...

vidunderlige log cabinblokker.

Valentina said...

Astrid, i luv your Blocks! I don't think they'll be difficult to assemble at all. And I had to laugh... i also make 'extra' blocks for myself! :)
I can't wait to see the twins finished!
:)
Lovely beach pictures... in the previous post!

Unknown said...

i like you blocks. just can't seem to get started on a log cabin again. I have a question I have seen the craft hardanger several places. what in the heck is it.?????carolyn

erin said...

You've been absolutely bust Astrid !!! Your place looks like a quilt factory...hehehe...

Dirt Lover said...

I really like how it's coming together. And isn't that cool that you will end up with 2 lap quilts???
~~Lori

PJs Lapperier said...

Detta ser ut att bli mycket fint. Vackert med traditionella log cabin faktiskt. Det glömmer man ofta bort.