Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cleaning up the garden

Such a beautiful sky this morning!

We have one jackfruit tree in our garden. The leaves are dark green and takes up a lot of light, so it was needed to cut off all the branches. We have talked about it for some weeks, but it was not before yesterday we finally did it.

The heap doesn't look that big, does it?! Man it was!!! I like to do works like shredding branches and started as early as 07:30 this morning. At noon I was almost done with the heap, but had to give up due to rain!  

Here's the shredded jack branches! OOOOH! I'm sure the flower beds will be happy when I add it all there! :) 

This is how our poor jackfruit tree looks now! It looks so ugly!!! But I know the job was needed; it will dry up faster in the flowerbed after rain and we get much more light into our kitchen. The huge branch to the left should have been cut off too, but we don't have suitable equipment for doing that. If you look carefully, you'll see there are still 4-5 jacks on the tree, most of them almost ripe. One has to be removed from the tree tomorrow, or else it starts to rot. Perhaps I'll make more jam - mixed with ripe bananas this time! :)

3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what is jackfruit like? is there any fruit comparable to that?
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Vicki's Bit-o-earth said...

Hi Astrid, oh how I envy you having a shredder to take care of all those leaves. I've wanted a shredder for so long. There are always a ton of other things that seem to take up the money first. LOL That naked tree will soon be beautiful again. Vicki

Nettie said...

a job well done I think! but the tree still has a kind of charm about it ;o) like Karen I wonder what does a jackfruit taste like?