Monday, April 4, 2022

Sunday, Torrential Rain and Progess on a UFO

 It's the end of the rainy- and cyclone season, or 'summer' as the locals call it. We have had a couple of cyclones that came pretty close (the eye). Fortunate not much damage to our property, except some banana trees that went down and a huge branch off a tree in our garden. Lots of rain which is very good for the water reservoirs. At the second half of March we got some sunny days and we were able to spend four days doing some long overdue yard work, before it started raining again! Since Thursday we've had heavy / torrential rain, which has caused floods and roads closed in some areas. One place recorded 241.8 mm / 9.5 inches in 24 hours. Not so much where we live, but still a lot. Right now (Sunday morning) it looks like it's going to clear up a bit, but heavy showers are still expected. Just read we've got one months rain in two days. 

In such weather, what else to do than hunker down in the sewing area (dining room) working on a UFO, other items and my ODG (one-day-goal). I don't remember if I mentioned it earlier; one of my goals this year is to make one 36-patches quilt block (2.5" squares) each day. 

So far, so good; I have accomplished January 31 blocks, February 28 blocks and March 31 blocks. From earlier I have December 2021 31 blocks. I've already done 4 blocks for April. Did you do the math?? 125 blocks x 36 = 4500 squares pieced together! It HAS made a dent in the boxes; reduced from 5 to 3 and soon there will be 2 boxes only. I have also made two twin quilts using 2.5" squares. I'm beginning to run out of red squares - as if I don't have more uncut! LOL   


Here they are, Dec 2021, Jan, Febr & March 2022.

I drafted the above paragraphs yesterday (already Monday morning). Now I'm going to tell you what I did yesterday; I worked on bindings! Not my favorite thing to do, but it has to be done. The one to the left is the UFO; vegetable wall organizer.

Binding is tread basted to the table runner and the two kitchen organizers. The backing is from my stash.

I love using up fabric (these from the same fabric line), which resulted in eight place mats! 

There will be four round place mats. Isn't this fabric yummy? 

..and four square place mats

How come there's one orphan tomato panel left?!

 

What can I turn it into? I think I know; a small wall hanging? Any other suggestions appreciated.  



9 comments:

Julierose said...

Very nice 36 patch blocks;))) You have had some "weather" for sure; here, we are still moving from Winter to Spring--mostly wintry with the winds off the ocean though.
Hope your week is a good one, hugs, Julierose

Marit Johanne said...

Så mye fint du har fått ut av grønnsakstoffene! Skal si dere har fått mye regn. Her er det litt tørt og skogbrannfare, men det har regnet i dag så da hjelper det litt.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

is the tomato piece too big for a hot pad or a pad to set a hot dish on? You did get a lot of rain - I don't like it when it comes all at once - I like a nice slow rain that lets it soak into the ground and not run off. I haven't made a postage stamp quilt in awhile - I have some little pieces cut I should use them but keep saving instead

Chantal said...

Oh! My! It almost sounds like the biblical flood! 9.5 inches in 24 hours! Ouch! Happy to read you are okay through it all. Love to do the binding. Too bad you live so far else I would go for a cup of coffee or tea and sew up your bindings for you. 😊 Love the tomato fabric. So cool. Is it big enough for a hot pad or maybe it could be appliqued to a tea towel? I'm sure you will come up with something great. ;^)

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

So glad you are safe from the storms and that there was minimal damage in your area. You have been making good use of your time. Love the scrappy blocks and great job on getting the binding complete. Have a wonderful week and happy quilting.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your 36 patch blocks- they are such scrappy fun! One every day will make quite a quilt!

Vicki in MN said...

That is a bunch of rain, glad you have some sewing you could escape to. Liking your progress on the 36 patch blocks, what a good way to use up a bunch of scraps.

Karen S said...

The weather really can help or hinder our plans. May as well make the most of it and quilt! Lovely to see what you have been up to.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a fun bunch of blocks!!!! and the rain - oh my - could you send just a inch or two our way?