Tuesday, July 7, 2026

Christmas in July


Have you ever thought from where Christmas in July originates?
To be honest, I have always thought it came from the Southern Hemisphere. Recently, I did a search and according to this link, it originates from France! Did you know? I didn't!

The month of July is usually the time I start making Christmas items for gifts etc. 


Last year, I prepped some dogs and cats themed mug rugs, using scraps from my stash. (I forgot to add them to my UFO list). I have finished quite some big quilts (so far) this year, it feels good working on something small, like quilting the mug rugs (even if that can be a bit tedious).

I have three Christmas UFOs I hope to finish / make progress.
The first two, I hope to finish before Christmas so that I can display them on the wall.


  Kris Kringle Kit - Teresa Kogut (UFO #19)


Christmas Card holder (UFO #4)
The pattern is in French - UGH! I'll get it done, eventually! 


Scrappy Christmas Stars (UFO #3)
Or should I say ongoing project? I have done 3 blocks only. I shall see if more can be done this month.

It's raining this a.m., showers with gusts up to 56 miles/h (90 km/h) is predicted today. I hope there will be some dry spells so I can do some grocery shopping later. 

 

11 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Well that's interesting. I had no idea where the idea for Christmas in July came from. You have some adorable projects in the works, Astrid. Mug rugs would make great gifts. Enjoy your day. Hugs.

Michele McLaughlin said...

What a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing the info on Xmas in July! I love your mug rugs! I'm also making Christmas stars this month. Wishing you a merry July and hope you get your projects done!

Helenchaffin said...

Oh my goodness ,French? There's some I cant even figure out in English 🤣 you've got some cute UFO's to work on

Jeanna said...

You have some nice Christmas projects to work on during Christmas in July. I especially like the card holder. I didn't know how Christmas in July started. Thanks for sharing the link. Enjoy your week, dear Astrid.

Julierose said...

Love your Santa wall quilt--;))) I have one Christmas Ojos that needs backing and layering up...I am saving any quilting for cooler days...
We finally got some much needed rain yesterday ...almost 2"--which should help our severe drought here...hugs, Julierose

Carolyn said...

That is interesting—I was not aware of where or why Christmas in July originated. I agree that it is a welcome break to sew some small projects in between the larger quilts. Sometime a quick finish is just what we need!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I never heard of the Xmas in July until I joined a quilt guild the first time. I rarely make Christmas things in July actually and don't until I feel like it.

Chantal said...

It started in France but why? Our (Canadian) explanation is campers. People who stay at camping grounds all summer couldn't exchange gifts with the friends they make at the camping because camping grounds are closed in winter. So they started the Christmas in July thing. I don't know why they started it in France but that's the story around here. Love your beautiful projects. ;^)

Rosemary Dickinson said...

This is a great time of year to get those Christmas gifts going. I never would have thought that Christmas in July started in France. I love your Christmas card holder.

Karen S said...

That is very interesting information. I had no idea where it started.
Yes, this is the time I start thinking Christmas as well.
Thank you for the reminder.
Good luck with your projects.

Bonnie said...

Never thought about where Christmas in July started. I assumed some clever retailer came up with the idea. Good for you making progress on your UFOs.