Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Basket Quilt Binding - Opinion Please

The last days I've been working entirely on finishing the Basket Quilt (#5 on my UFO list)
I quilted the last piece yesterday, trimmed the sides and added a sleeve. It's ready for the binding, but I can't for my life decide what color to choose. ...and since I don't buy unnecessary fabric (strict fabric diet!), I don't have anything that fits. I have to purchase fabric for this one, to be able to finish it.


Can you believe I'm out of black?! I had a small piece I tried, but to me it looked too dull. Dark green or dark red? Don't have! SIGH! 


If I had had more of the black with purple and teal, I would have chosen that one.


Something low scale black with tiny flowers? Dots? 
I'm having a hard time to decide! 

What had YOU chosen for binding? 
Your opinion, please!



 

 

8 comments:

Carolyn said...

Pretty quilt! Since you asked for opinions, the black with the turquoise print you used for the narrow borders would be the obvious choice, but since you don’t have any more, I would say dark green should look nice.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I gather you don't have any more of that dark colour (black?) you used for some of the sashing throughout? I think I would have finished it envelope style with no binding at all but I think it's too late for that. Do you have any black bias tape? I've been using that to bind my landscapes lately and I really like the look it gives. I use the wide bias tape.

Julierose said...

How about something like that cocoa brown--or a scrappy binding...I use those a whole lot...such a nice piece--
You know, Astrid, binding is always my personal "bugaboo"!! Trouble for me with a capital "T"!! :(((( Good luck finding one that pleases you...
Hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

black with a tiny print would be my choice

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I admire how you are sticking to your guns on a strict fabric diet; it does make one think when having to make fabric choices . Doesn't it? Oh, this quilt is so beautiful, Astrid. Hmmm. I am not sure what fabrics I would choose. I look forward to seeing what you come up with . You have such a great eye for color so I am sure it will work out perfectly. Hugs and Blessings.

Chantal said...

In the last border (gold with the red flowers) are some green leaves. I would try to match that, or the red of the flowers. IMHO. I'm sure you will find something. You always come out a winner. ;^)

Karen S said...

I agree with a black binding as it repeats the two smaller black borders. Just my thoughts!

Jeanna said...

It's too bad you don't have more of the black/turquoise print. It would have been perfect. I don't know what I would choose, honestly. But I can tell you that the quilt is gorgeous!