Friday, May 14, 2021

Progress on UFO's - AGAIN!

UFO's! UFO's! UFO's! That's what has been going on since my previous post! I have not started anything new, even if that has been very tempting a few times. I'm determined to finish as many UFO's as possible this year and so far so good! The PSQ #1 and the Scrappy Christmas Quilt - here - are both FINISHED! No photos yet. 

The last couple of weeks, I've been working on PSQ #2 and the Pineapple Quilt. For the PSQ #2, the blocks were done last year, but not pieced together. As you can see here, 3 blocks were missing (still not found!). New blocks were made and a flimsy was born! 


Does it happen you add pieces of batting together? I do, I zigzag the pieces together. I'm running out of batting and for this quilt I have pieced five pieces together to make it big enough.


A sneak peek of the pieced backing. I always pin and thread baste the 3 layers together before quilting. I've had my share of puckers when using pins only and don't want a repeat of wasted time ripping seams! I was wondering why the cat was so quiet and to where he had disappeared... HA! Under the table, on the quilt! Cats always find the best place to keep warm.


Poor 'Dear Nina'! This is how the bobbin case looked like after less than half of the quilt was quilted!


 It's all done and I hope to get the scrappy binding on by the weekend. 


42 blocks! Phyllis over at Jambearies suggested I add an additional row on one side and one at the bottom and call it quit, to make it a good size throw. ...and so I did!...so far! I'm not going to make more of these blocks, at least not for awhile! LOL. Elzaan over at Huisvlyt suggests a piano key border! ... which means the quilt would keep growing! I think that would look nice, but really, am I willing to add more work to it? I have to decide on backing too. Any suggestion? Scrappy? I may have some 'ugly' fabric that can be used. 


Removing the paper from each block took F-O-R-E-V-E-R! 


At one point, while making the pineapple blocks, it didn't look like it made any dent in the amount of strips at all! But now, after sorting strips - again - the amount is reduced from two to one box! Yippie!!!

HAPPY QUILTING!!!




6 comments:

Chantal said...

Congratulations on getting UFOs finished. You are on fire, girl, with all those finishes. PSQ1 looks great. Can't wait to see more photos of your finishes. Love, love, love your pineapple quilt. I understand that there's already so much work done to get to this stage but people will look at it for the next 100 years. I think it is worth a pianokeys border. What do you say? ;^)

Uniquely Yours Creations said...

Both quilts are coming along beautifully! Just think that the PSQ #2 might be in a Quilt Study group years and years from now. I belong to a group and this is the type of quilt that we study all of the time. Picking out each fabric and trying to date it.
I just love that flower fabric; what are you going to do with that?

StephsQults said...

You are the queen of scrap quilts, love them all and that pineapple one is fabulous and I disagree with Chantel (sorry!) I think it would be way too busy for a piano key border and take away from the pineapple blocks. If a border is wanted I'd do a thin framing one of a solid colour then a wider one of another solid, picking out the colours used most within the quilt and leave it at that. But you probably don't have the fabrics and can't get them at the moment for that. Well done on not starting something new until UFOs are done, that's discipline!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I just love your Pineapple quilt, Astrid. Great job on making a dent on your scraps. I look forward to seeing what you decide in respect to the border. Happy quilting

Karen S said...

You have been busy with all your scraps and UFOs. They do look good.
Yes, I jpin my batting together, too, but I use the iron on tape. That works well.

Barwitzki said...

For en skattekiste av stoffer og fremfor alt farger og mønstre ... fantastisk.
Og det er også fantastisk å klare å gjøre UFOer klare ... med stoff har jeg ikke UFO, men
med garn ... i alle fall en stor gratulasjon for hvert stykke som har vært og vil bli ferdig.
Mange hilsener fra Viola