Saturday, March 25, 2023

RSC Week 12 - GREEN Flimsy and Pieced Backing

 It has been another busy GREEN week. 
My goal this month has been to use as much green fabric from my stash as possible, and I think I have succeeded, IMO. Last week I had made 48 scrappy Churn Dash blocks for the green scrappy quilt and made a couple of crumb blocks for the pieced backing (here). 


A flimsy!!!


To get a better variety of green, I pulled out what I had of 5" squares in green. Not that it was that many, but fabric used is a good thing, isn't it? :) 


It didn't take long piecing together the blocks. What took time was the pieced backing. Quite some brainwork getting the pieces to fit. 
I'm happy to say lots of bits, pieces and 'ugly' green have gone into the backing. 
The batting was delivered yesterday, guess what I'm going to do next week!


 The crumb blocks are made from 'table scraps'.


Together with the batting I got yesterday, I also got thread to finish more items; trivets and placemats (previous post). Please note I DID NOT buy anything I didn't need, EXCEPT two quilt magazines! LOL  Did I need the magazines?? Yes, for inspiration! :) 

Did you notice I haven't said anything about the weather? It did improve and this week we have had some sunny days and 'of course' hot and way too humid for me. We are heading towards the 'cold' season and the nights and slightly cooler, which is a good sign! 


Our coffee trees (we have four trees) are thriving in the hot and humid weather condition, lots of coffee beans (actually coffee berries) this season. 

Linking up with Angela over at SOS Scrappy  and the RSC - Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2023



24 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks like you managed to piece a backing together - I never do that - I'm too lazy I guess - you have ended with a great green quilt

Chantal said...

Congrats on the green top! And the backing too. Lots of work in that one. Enjoy! ;^)

Kat Scribner said...

The backing is marvelous, a quilt design in itself. Definitely more difficult than making a standard block quilt top! Do you have ANY green scrappies leftover?

The Joyful Quilter said...

You had me at GREEN and scrappy, Astrid! I'm so happy for your progress in sewing through your scraps. Best of luck with the quilting and finishing next week!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Pretty green churn dashes! I like how different sections of the block stand out depending on the way you put the different colors together. Your backing is amazing - you used up lots of scraps that way!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

your Greens are AMAZING!! I love Churn Dash blocks so much, and your scrappy ones are AMAZING!!
oh my gosh - that backing too!! its all so amazing!!
Great job!

Sharon said...

Your scrappy greens are really beautiful!

Deb A said...

What a neat green quilt you created! Love the scrappy backing. You have coffee beans growing in your yard! That is so neat. Do you process and use them as well?

maggie fellow said...

you really did use a lot of green this month - great job

Susie H said...

You did an amazing job with your greens! Love the quilt! In the book I'm reading, "Dream Town" by Baldacci, they were just talking about coffeeberry bushes. Might not be the same but at least has the same lingo! Have a good, cool weekend!

Fiona said...

I love both the churn dash front and the pieced backing... you did well with the greens... happy quilting...
Do you process your coffee berries?
Hugz

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Churn Dash is one of my favorite blocks and your quilt in greens is magnificent. The scrappy backing is a beauty in itself. Have a wonderful week, Astrid

Jenny said...

Didn't you do well using up all those greens, plus making a pieced backing too. This is going to be a lovely quilt, I'm sure you are itching to get it layered up and quilted. Well done, you!

Jenny said...

PS: I meant to ask, do you process your own coffee beans?

Barwitzki said...

It's wonderful when fabrics from our own stock are used... yes, that always causes a lot of headaches :-)) happy quilting...
Four coffee trees, how much coffee does that actually make... coffee beans for a week, a month... do you roast the coffee yourself? I love drinking good coffee.
Many greetings to you. I wish you happy work. Viola

Char said...

Wow Astrid you have been busy. You used way more green scraps than I did! Great job!



Birthe Marie said...

En fantastisk innsats med grønne stoff, og du har virkelig nådd målet ditt! Gøy å se alle de fine blokkene. Til og med scrapsen på bordet har du klart å bruke, og jeg har virkelig sansen for å bruke det til baksiden. Well done, Astrid!

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness! That's a lot of green. Good for you for getting a top assembled. It is fantastic. And your backing is pretty impressive too. Go green!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You've done an amazing job of using greens. I actually think the quilt is reversible because the back is equally as interesting as the front!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your green projects are wonderful and a true inspiration! Beautiful work!

Jeanne said...

I love your scrappy green churns!

Jeanna said...

Great work using up some green fabrics, Astrid. I'm not good a piecing the backings but I try. Your turned out beautifully.

Karen S said...

Both he top and the backing look great. Well done using up so much green.

Sarah said...

I love both the front and back! And there’s no such thing as ugly green fabric LOL