Saturday, April 15, 2023

RSC Week 15 - Purple Progress and a Few Finishes

 It's Saturday again and time for RSC
I completely missed last Saturday and now we are already halfway through April! How did that happen?! Cooler days (beginning 'cold season') although the last days have been HOT and humid with thunderstorms. 

Slow progress on the purples. First I did was to make the blocks for the Swirling Stars quilt 


The small blocks (not very clever to photograph white on white!)


The big block

Do you remember the bunny fabric
A little purple here too and part of the bunny stripes has become placemats, mug rug and tea cozy. I used Moda Marbles 'Iris' for the binding, just enough for these items. 


Set of 6 placemats


Mug rug


Insulated tea cozy, same both sides

When I purchase fabric (from the US) I usually add one or two quilt magazines. What caught my eyes was Quiltmaker's cover photo in the May/June '22 edition; the blue and white coffee cup quilt, hence I bought the magazine. Don't you love quilt magazines? I do! What's better to snuggle up on the sofa enjoying a cuppa and reading a magazine? I love that! 
So, now you may believe this is the quilt I chose for the purple? Nope! I chose 'Bases Loaded' by Becky Rico (scroll down to the green / cream HST quilt). I thought that would make a nice purple and white/cream scrap quilt, using up some white/cream scraps too.


I have 5 blocks (16 inches finished), and a little helper today! I realized there are some purples I won't have enough and I don't want to end up with several HSTs in the same fabric for the last blocks. I ordered a charm pack with a variety of purples, should get it in about two weeks. I needed thread to finish binding on a few pink items too. The thread I have is not even close to matching.  

Linking up with Angela and the Rainbow Scrap Challenge RSC

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I used to like the quilt magazines but then they started to put so many advertisements in them that it seems like half the magazine are ads - a total waste of paper - I rarely buy any of them anymore
cute bunnies

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Those bunnies are so cute! Purple is one of my favourite colours so I'm happy that this month is that colour (even though I'm not taking part in the challenge).

The Joyful Quilter said...

Look at you with all the PURPLE scrap sewing going on, Astrid!!

Char said...

Astrid I love all the purple and that bunny tea cozy is too cute!💜

Jenny said...

I love what you have made from that gorgeous bunny fabric.

Karen S said...

The swirling stars for RSC are looking great.
And great ideas with the bunny fabric - so cute.
Looks like great ideas for the month with purple.

Deb A said...

Adorable bunnies! Love your purple blocks. I too, like curling up with a magazine to get ideas for quilt blocks and different color combinations. Enjoy your week.