Monday, June 5, 2023

Ongoing and New Scrappy Project

 Do you have an ongoing project? ...Or a new scrappy project? 
Those of you who have followed my blog for some years, know I cut scraps from 1.5" to 5" squares + 1.5" strips, selvages, and saving those odd triangles! I'm keeping up with 1.5" squares, doing pretty well with 2.5",  not so good with the other sizes, strips and selvages.

I spent some time during the weekend catching up on my ongoing scrappy 1.5" squares.


I make 36-patches and I have 9 blocks, I sew them together to 324-patches. It will be easier to handle this size when sewing them into a quilt. Per yesterday, I have ten 324-patches = 3240 squares pieced together + approximately 180 squares already sewn together but now enough for a big block.


 The box looks rather empty now compared to what it did before the weekend! 

You may wonder how I keep up with it?


To avoid uncontrolled accumulation of scraps (had my share of that!), I cut scraps into squares and strips when I'm working on a project or when a top is done. 


One of the (three!) 2.5" boxes. When I need a break from a project, I usually add some squares together. I have a heap with 36-patches, my guess is I have enough for two quilts. Forgot to take a photo of that heap, but you can see it here, row #4, middle photo. More 36-patches have been added since January! 

New project! 


A chance to use up some 2.5", 3" and 5" squares
 

The pattern is called 'Patchwork Potpourri", part #1 posted in Love of Quilting March/April 2023. Part #2 and #3 continue in the next two magazine issues. 
Finished size is 82" x 82", 100 8" blocks. This should keep me out of trouble for some months! 


7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I too have a full box of 2.5 inch pieces and a half box of 1.5 inch pieces I have been thinking of what to make with them and have thought a postage stamp quilt should be made again - it has been awhile. I love what you are doing with yours.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You have to be incredibly disciplined to keep on top of all those scraps! One of the reasons I'll never be a real 'sane' quilter. I have enough trouble keeping track of what I use for the landscapes and that's a fairly limited color palette.

Julierose said...

I just love those 36 square patches--good for you keeping on top of all those scraps--I have bagged mine by color to start and then I cut a bit at a time--such a pretty array in your postage piece...hugs, Julierose

Chantal said...

I can so relate. Little bits (1.5, 2, 2.5" squares) are coming out of every nail hole in my sewing room. My attempt to keep them under control is futile but I love your attempt. Wow! That will be an awesome quilt. I love the new block too. I might need to borrow that block. Kudos! ;^)

Karen S said...

It is a good idea to have an ongoing project to turn to for a break from other works.
Something mindless and easy to work on is great.

Marit Johanne said...

Wow! Det var mange små stoffbiter å holde styr på! Blir et vakkert teppe.

Barwitzki said...

What a great use of leftover fabric... you are super organized. Your quilt will be beautiful.
I sewed two pockets from edges of the fabric - selvage - it was fun and relatively quick.
Mange greetings from Viola
Happy work to you.