Tuesday, May 30, 2023

RSC Week 21 - End of the Orange Month

 Goodbye RSC ORANGE - Welcome DARK & BRIGHT BLUES for June! 
I haven't gone through my blue colors for June, not sure what I have. I do have a lot of blues, but dark & bright? 

Well, May and the color orange is nearing its end. I don't have a big variety of orange, just enough to make the blocks for the Swirling Star Quilt


The big block


...and the two small blocks

What to do with the remaining orange? 
Do you remember the '70's, when orange & brown were hot colors? My first sewing machine, a Husqvarna, (not my photo) was orange! I had it for years, until the engine burnt. Going down memory lane together with my dear friend in Norway, who painted his room orange and brown, to his father's despair! LOL 

An idea was born! 
Make a quilt in orange and brown! Moda Marbles' Chocolate Brown 6851 + orange!


I had only about 3/4 yard Chocolate Brown, enough to make 10 blocks, but not enough for a quilt. 

I was pondering what to do next.... I can get more of the brown, but decided against it for now. My goal this year to use fabric from my stash. 

What colors go with orange and brown? I did a search and there are some stunning combinations with blue. Take a look at the batik block above; it has dark blue and turquoise together with orange and a touch of brown. 
Another dive into my Moda Marbles


Moda Marbles Steel Blue 9881-25
I have about 3/4 yard of this color too, should be enough for 10 blocks - 7 blocks made. Still not enough for a quilt! 


Moda Marbles Slate Blue 9882-13. (I don't think steel blue and slate blue are available anymore?)
Another 3/4 yards, another 10 blocks - 4 blocks made. The slate blue is a bit darker than the photo, a beautiful color. 
I'm not yet sure about the layout, maybe 5 x 6 blocks, 10" blocks. If I go for sashing, what color should that be? Black is almost always 'safe', what about deep olive green? Your opinion, please! 

HAPPY QUILTING!





6 comments:

Deb A said...

That is going to be such a fun quilt! Do you have enough strips of orange to do a scrappy orange binding? Have a great week.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes in the 1970's it seems that orange, brown and lime green were very popular colors in the US too - now I can barely stand the sight of lime green and orange! maybe that is why when I need those colors I have to look because there is every little in the stash although I do see some in a fabric bundle on the shelf.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

How about turquoise? Or a blue with violet undertones? According to my Color Tool those colours are opposite to orange on the colour wheel. Aqua green too. Don't know if that's any help!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You did so well with the orange blocks, Astrid. I am lacking in orange fabrics. But yea to blues...have loads of those.

Chantal said...

Love what you're doing Astrid. For someone who says she doesn't have a lot of orange, you've managed to make a lot of stars. For your second project, I'm thinking purple but be careful it doesn't come across as Halloween-ish. A green sashing would be perfect, maybe avocado like in the '70s. At my parent's place, the wallpaper was huge orange flowers with an avocado-coloured fridge, stove, and a brown carpet. Oh yes! We had it ALL. So glad it's over, lol. Enjoy! ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the orange and chocolate brown combination! The blue will be pretty with it, too. It will be fun to see how this comes together!