Saturday, January 20, 2024

RSC 2024 Week 3 - Green for January

RSC - RAINBOW SCRAP CHALLENGE 2024 - hosted by Angela over at 

I had sew much fun doing the RSC last year. I'm participating this year too. The first color of the year - January - is GREEN
I used up most of my greens last year, making 'Gerdrik's Quilt' 


For this year's challenge, I have chosen a couple of blocks to make in each month's color. I have a lot of cut squares in different sizes. This box contains 3" squares, sorted on colors.

There are some blocks I've always wanted to do and one of them is the 'Split 9 Patch' block. I pulled out all the 3" green and white/cream squares and got carried away!  


I made 8 'Split 9 Patch' blocks in green and white/cream

Another block on my 'want to do' list, is the 'Scrap Jar Star' block.
I have thousands (I'm not exaggerating!!!) of 2" squares, not sorted on colors. 

OK, let's take a look:


Boxes containing 2" squares.
Do you see the black Acer box on the last photo, to the right? It contains 6100 2" squares, collected from swaps some years ago (photo next to the boxes). If not mistaken, I think I did a swap with Angela too? I have no clue how many squares the other boxes contain.

I've got a 'custom order'! My dear childhood friend in Norway has ordered one square table topper and one table runner, both in GREENS, his favorite color. That should keep me busy the rest of the 'green-month'! 

I've finished a custom order too, see my previous post 
For the table runner, I've used Moda Marbles Hunter Green.

HAPPY SCRAPPY WEEKEND! 




15 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

cute split 9 patch blocks,I spent the whole day in the sewing room making block after block for no apparent reason. 🤣

Chantal said...

Oh! My! Curly Bunnies! Looks like you are overrun by little 2" squares. You absolutely have to do something to subdue that. You need to give me some, lollll! I love a split 9-patch block. It has been on my to-do list for a long time. Looking forward to seeing Scrap Jar Star grow. It is such a wonderful block. Have fun! ;^)

Sara said...

Wow! Your little squares are well organized and ready to use. The blocks are looks good.

Kat Scribner said...

Two lovely blocks Helen, you have a nice collection of greens to work with.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the split nine patch is a neat block, you have a lot of 2 inch patches to work with for sure

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I like the split nine patch design. Looks fairly simple to do if you don't count having to match all the points and corners (I'm SO not a sane quilter!).

Char said...

Happy New Year Astrid! Love those blocks. Wow, that’s a lot of 2” blocks!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love split 9 patch blocks - they can make all kinds of fun designs! It sounds like you have lots of squares to choose from for some Scrap Jar Stars, too. Enjoy!

grammajudyb said...

The split 9’s are so versatile! I like them arranged in a square.Yowza, that’s a lot of 2” squares! Lots of possibilities there! Good luck!

Mari said...

Oh my gosh, that is a lot of squares to choose from! I think you might be able to pull several quilts out of there. Great split 9-patches, which always look great. Good thing your friend likes green!

Cathy said...

Your Split nine patch blocks turned out amazingly! Those blocks are so versatile, easy and fun - and addicting! Way to go!

scraphappy said...

The secondary pattern in your split nine patches has me pondering a new setting for my stacks of 16 patch blocks. So many 2 inch squares! I hope you are able to use up some more of the greens this month

Jenny said...

Split nine patch is a pretty block.

Dorothy L. Wills said...

Wow! I thought I had a lot lol.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Astrid. Beautiful blocks for the green challenge. And my what a lot of lovely squares. Endless choice for more beautiful quilting! I need to cut more of my scraps into useful sizes like this. Thanks for the incentive. Happy Stitching to you!