Wednesday, July 21, 2010

NYB, Mystery Quilt and Scones


First of all, please welcome Elzaan to blog land!
Elzaan is a friend of mine, and after nagging (her word!) her :), because she makes beautiful quilts!,  she has taken the first step into blogging. :)
Once again; a very warm welcome to blog land, Elzaan! I'm sure you will enjoy it!

**********

Ever since Monday we have thought of going to the south coast, but the weather is so nasty; local showers and strong wind. Dependent on buses, none of us are tempted to venture out in such weather. This is typical Mauritian "winter", with temperatures varying from +20C (68F) on the plateau to +26C (79F) on the coast. I know! I know! It's not cold, but when 90-95% humidity is added - BRRR!
The best to do on such days is to snuggle up in front of the sewing machine (if that is possible!) with a hot cocoa and do some cutting and sewing.


I think Birre-Liten feels that he doesn't get enough attention! Why does he have do sit on the cutter?! :)
Actually I was working on part 4 of the "Mystery Quilt". This part was released June 1st, but I have been busy doing other things and put it on wait.


Part 4 required quite some sewing, which took most of the day.


Part 5 was released on July 1st, so I cut and started sewing these small stars too.
Part 6 will be released August 1st and then the quilt will be revealed too.

**********

Yesterday I did two more New York Beauty blocks. I've used the same fabrics as the first one... I struggle a bit with the curves, but I believe that's part of being a NYB newbie?! :)
ARGH! The small curve doesn't look like a curve, does it?! Not on the top left one.... :( 
I paper piece the middle part, then pin - with millions of needles (it looks like that!) - and then sew them together... Is that the right way doing it? 


Well, not that bad after all... Huh? :)

**********

There's a cooking program on local TV every Monday, and this week scones were made. I didn't pay much attention to the recipe, because there are so many of them on the net.
When I googled "cheese scones recipe", about 201 000 recipes are available on the net! I picked the first recipe - very simple - and done in a jiffy! I think it lacks a bit of taste, so next time I'm going to add cayenne pepper and mustard powder, as I saw in another recipe.
Click here to go to the recipe. 


Even the dogs like the scones! Here they are asking for more! :)


**********

I'm currently working on some cross-stitched Christmas/Winter ornaments, which I can't show due to a secret swap later this year.

**********

I'll have to change the blog background now. I've just got the message the current background will disappear this coming Friday...


5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I know what you mean about the humidity affecting things. I hate that high of humidity. I will check out your friends blog. I love the quilts you are working on.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Fleurette said...

Mmm I love scones! Love the colours of the mystery quilt you're working on, looks great and you're doing a wonderful job with the NYB. Your dogs are beautiful!

Michelle said...

Your NYB blocks look beautiful! I don't see any flaws. You've just got the newbie jitters. :-)

What vibrant colors in the mystery quilt!

Gotta love those critters. :-)

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Wow what a wonderfully busy post!!! And good thing to do indoors too...Welcome to your friend to blogland...Have a great Friday...Dzintra♥x

Michelle said...

P.S. I just subscribed to Elazaan's blog. Thanks for introducing us to this wonderful quilter!