Saturday, August 22, 2020

Lock-down sewing: Pineapple scraps

 It's Saturday afternoon already and I haven't done half of what I intended to do today! Some days are like that and I don't think I'm alone?! I've been glued to the sewing machine almost every day this week. Some weeks ago I made a Christmas table runner and four place mats that needed to be quilted. That's done! Yesterday I added binding and have left to do two of the four place mats. But that was not what I was going to write about today. 

Isn't it amazing what can be done without I-net connection? I'm one of those who can't sit idle, I have to do something. I read, I always read a book, but that is limited to after I'm in bed. If you wonder what I'm currently reading? Hillary Jordan; Mudbound. During daytime, I do other things; housework, grocery shopping, yard work etc. Boring routines! Hahaha! 

During the lock-down and no I-net connection I did a lot of sewing. I had (still have) a lot of 1.5" strips that could be used for other blocks than log cabin. I decided to make some scrappy pineapple blocks. I had sew much fun, but all the strips got a bit tedious.


I printed the pattern from EQ7. The block is 11" (sewn into quilt) and it consists of 53 strips (corners included). The strips measure 0.75" (finished). 


Birre-Liten the cat is almost always eager to help! At least he did not try to 'kill' these blocks! 
I have 13 blocks. I'm not sure how many I'm going to make. I may make a couple more for a rectangle wall hanging, or four more for a square one. 

Did you know pineapple quilt blocks is believed to have emerged in the mid-1800's during Lincoln's presidential campaign? A symbol of opulence and hospitality. Read more here

HAPPY WEEKEND & HAPPY QUILTING! 

7 comments:

JM in Toronto said...

Beautiful use of your strips!

Hilachas said...

Saturday afternoon already? I barely got up as it’s just Saturday morning in Texas. I like your pineapple blocks I recently made several also for the Long Time Gone quilt I’m working on and know how tedious that can be. Yours is going to be beautiful.

Char said...

Great way to spend your time Astrid and thanks for the history lesson.

Karen S said...

The pineapple blocks are wonderful. The will be lovely in a quilt. Glad you have plenty to do to keep busy.

Carol Ethier said...

Love the blocks and admire your dedication to using every little scrap. Funny side comment - mistakenly read that you had made 131 blocks lol, and wondered why you needed to make a few more for a wall hanging :)

Barb Neiwert said...

That may be tedious sewing but it sure looks great when you put them all together!

Sharon said...

Sew beautiful! And I'm glad that the kitty didn't kill the quilt blocks.