Saturday, February 11, 2023

RSC Week #6 - Pink updates

 It has been a PINK week! 
If you read my previous post, you may remember February is the PINK month. RSC (Rainbow Scrap challenge) hosted by Angela at SOS Scrappy. 

2-3 weeks ago I went through and sorted some of my fabrics (having RSC in mind). All colors/fabrics are beautiful, some in small doses. Pink has never been a favorite, not even when I was a kid. How come I measured approximately 13 yards PINK in my stash?! Some must have multiplied, I'm sure! I even dived into a box with 5" squares cut and got out more pinks. 
Well, to reduce as much pink as possible, I decided to make a quilt for my friend's daughter (she turns 7 in April). I decided on a scrappy D9P (Disappearing-Nine-Patch design), blocks finished at 13 inches. Easy and fast to make. 


I didn't want to make a 'kid's-quilt-size', rather a quilt she can use when she's older too. It turned out a twin size quilt. 


Using up as much as possible of the pink fabrics, I decided to piece the backing. From some of the 'table-scraps' I made a crumb block and I added pieces that were not big enough for anything. Of course I could have saved them for binding on mug rugs, but NO, I wanted to get rid of them! What was left on the table - table scraps - cut into squares or saved for my crumb quilt

The top and backing is done, I have batting, but do I have pink quilting thread? Have to check that out later. I should thread baste it while the table is almost empty for other fabric! Let's see if I can get to it the coming week. 

Linking up with Angela and the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) 2023




15 comments:

Gwyned Trefethen said...

What a perfect for now, perfect for later quilt for your friend's daughter. Great way to reduce that pink stash, too.

Chantal said...

Wow! You are FAST! Top and backing are done already and half of the month isn't passed yet. Kudos to you, girl! I.N.V.U. ;^)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

both are looking really good

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is so pretty! It will make a lovely gift. Have fun quilting it!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That D9P looks lovely in PINK and will make a super sweet gift!!

Fiona said...

great use of those pinks and I do love a pieced backing....
Hugz

Cathy said...

Gosh, that was a quick make! Cute too and a great idea to make it twin sized for a 7 year old. I never used to like pink much either. But then the granddaughters came along and loved it and so some pinks started mysteriously showing up in the stash. Now all these years later like you I'm trying to use it up.

Jeanna said...

The pink quilt is going to loved for a long long time. Twin is a great size.

Jenny said...

Havent you done well! Stitching the top then creating a pieced backing, well done.

Jeanne said...

Oh, this is charming! Pink and scrappy and happy! :)

time4stitchn said...

What an amazing quilt out of a color that you don't usually use. Like you, I am not a pink fan. And my daughter also has never liked pink. I made her one pink dress and one fuschia print skirt and that was IT! So I like how you utilized it into an easy quilt to give away. I hope this little girl will like it!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

You have had a wonderful and productive week.Love all of the pinks, Astrid. Well done!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a great quilt for a little girl! And how nice to make it larger to further the usage too. Smart thinking.

Kat said...

Oh, I love this pink quilt. It looks like a wide variety from peach to almost red? It looks so good. And the back is so fun, too. It will give her an option to display either side. So cute!

Kat said...

I love all the pink. What a nice, cheerful quilt! The pieced back is so fun, too, and she can display the quilt on either side. Fun!