Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Basket Quilt UFO back in the closet, or not?

 Does it happen to you? You pull out a project / UFO from the shelf or closet for so to get it back in to where it was? Yesterday was my turn! Why?

I don't remember when I decided on fabric and made two blocks for this quilt. 

Photo from the magazine

What I know is I received the magazine (Marvellous Machine-Made Quilts) from an ex-pen pal in New Zealand in 2008. The magazine does have some great quilts and I have made these; Colorado Star (made two quilts for our sofas) and Split Hourglass quilt. It was sew fun making these quilts (even if it took some time! lol). I'd love to make the latter again, super for scraps. 

Well, back to the Basket Quilt. I'm not happy with the fabrics I chose when I started making it (whenever that was). 


I find the two blocks I made a bit dull and lack of contrast. What do you think? 


These are the fabrics I had chosen for the blocks and borders


...this one for the outer border. I'm not going to purchase fabric for this one, except backing, maybe....

I may have to change colors/fabrics? Or get in more contrasts? I spent half of yesterday pondering what to do. I'm going to use the background I've chosen; a very light green on white, toile looking. Now that I've joined RSC, make the baskets in RSC colors? ...or just scrappy using more contrasts compared to the already made blocks? 
I'd love your suggestions! 


11 comments:

JustGail said...

Yes, the 2 fabrics do sort of fade into each other. However I'd leave these 2 as is and make the rest. Once with their neighbors, they'll probably be good. Take a good look at the quilt in the magazine - it has a couple of blocks with low contrast too. In particular row 2 column 2.
And if not, you'd be making 2 blocks to finish instead of feeling like you're starting over.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think I would do the basket quilt in more of a scrappy version - that way you could get a good mix of colors from bright to dull to ugly and all look good in the end! I have a couple UFO's tucked so far back I think I am forgetting them on purpose

Jeanna said...

I have projects that have gone back and forth to the shelf more than once LOL. While I think your quilt would be nice using RSC, I really like the fabrics you've already selected. Maybe just adding something with more contrast, like you said. At least all of your pieces of the baskets are going the right way...have you seen my most recent one? Geez! Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you decide.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love the basket quilt! I think I would opt for more scrappy too. You could control the contrast better. I hate having UFO's. I like to get my projects done but it doesn't always happen that way!

Ivani said...

This project will be beautiful as a scrappy version for RSC. A neutral background fabric will give more contrast to the basket. Well, whatever you choose it will be OK.

Karen S said...

It is always interesting to see how our tastes change over time. Definitely has happened to me!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What pretty basket blocks, Astrid. I do have an affection for basket quilts. Pretty fabrics that you have chosen as well. I am drawn to the yellow floral fabric- so cheerful .

Barwitzki said...

I often try out my fabrics and then I'm not satisfied because it doesn't fit. Then I go to the fabric shop and buy a "background fabric" which is often darker... so make sure to create a nice contrast. It's such a shame when you're not satisfied at the end of the job.
You'll make it, you have beautiful fabrics :-))
I wish you good luck and lots of joy.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I love baskets and those fabrics are so pretty. I'm sure you will work out the ideal contrast to showcase the pattern. Have a great weekend, Astrid.

Sarah said...

Gorgeous fabrics but I see what you mean about not enough contrast! It's a lovely pattern though.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Cute pattern!!! Yes, I could see it done in RSC colors. Our taste in fabric does change over the years, so a fresh start might be the best move.