Saturday, February 17, 2024

RSC Week #7 - Red Heart Strips

 Happy Weekend! 
How come it's weekend again? It must have been a busy week! 

After doing the last RED blocks (Red chosen for February) for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I tidied up my sewing table by moving the red fabrics to the large buffet (where most of my stash is stored), I thought I was done with RED for this month. 

WRONG! 
Earlier this week, I finished quilting a couple of patriotic / Norwegian Flag table runners and was about to cut strips for the binding. Before I was going to do that, I had a coffee break (very important!) and flipped through a couple of quilting magazine (which I love!). 
My eyes caught the scrappy quilt pattern 'Keep the Home Fires Burning', designed by Emily Bailey. 

SQUIRREL MOMENT!!! 
(Sudden distraction that pulls us away from what we are currently doing. From the movie UP, where the dog Doug gets distracted by a squirrel, sets off to chase it and shouts SQUIRREL!)
Forgotten was the binding strips I was going to cut for the TR's! Instead, I rushed upstairs, pulled out the red fabrics from the buffet, brought it down to the sewing table and began cutting strips for the heart, the centre of the quilt!  


What a pain getting these colors right! Well then, I'm not a photographer! I see now that I could have used more red instead of 2-3 of the red on white, but... oh well, done is done! The background is Moda Marbles #9859 Pastel Grey


I had some squares on the table and made nine 4-patches out of 47 required. These finish at 3 inches.
Other scrappy blocks includes; bowties, pinwheels, 9-patches and some strips. 
The fabric requirements are about 8 yards, which should make a tiny dent in my stash!
After doing this squirrel, maybe I'll get in the mood working on a UFO? 
Still hot, humid and rain showers here, no venture out except grocery shopping. We've had a few days 91.4F / +33C, which is hot for the area we live. Hotter on the west coast; 96.8F / +36C. Meteo says it's the effect of El Nino this year... Hotter than usual, for sure. 

Linking up with Angela and the RSC - Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2024




13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds very hot and sticky where you are - I would stay inside with a fan and the A/C on me. I love your heart it looks great.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

So happy to see that pesky squirrel dashes through your studio too. He pays altogether too many visits to mine! And thank you for giving us the origin of the 'squirrel' comment...I didn't know that.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your heart was a fun squirrel! I love the the different reds with the gray background. Looks like you had a lot of fun with your red scraps this week!

Chantal said...

This heart block is just lovely! Of course, I had to go check out the link and saw the entire quilt ... what a BEAUTY! I must resist. I NEED to resist! So sorry, it's sticky and hot at your place. Here's a refreshing thought; we had snow yesterday. Enjoy! ;^)

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your scrappy heart block. It's so hot where you are and so cold where I am! Stay in with the A/C pumping!

Susie H said...

Your heart block looks so pretty. Love all the directions the fabrics run. Ugh! on your weather but it's Ugh! on ours here too. Cold with snow. Have a good weekend and keep that A/C running if you can!

grammajudyb said...

I hope you are staying a bit cool, while you sew. The heart is lovely! I’m going to check out the pattern as soon as I am finished visiting all the blogs! ❤️

Cathy said...

Oh, I love the heart. I think the red and white's look wonderful in it. What a lovely pattern. I think it is great inspiration for an orphan block quilt!

Cathy said...

The heart you made is totally adorable! Good for you, chasing that squirrel!!

Jenny said...

That's a very pretty heart you have stitched. I checked the link to Home Fires and there certainly is a lot of various blocks in there. I'm sure you will enjoy stitching this interesting quilt.

Solomae said...

Love the heart! And thanks for the LOL re the squirrel moment! Been there, done that!

Karen S said...

Your heart has worked out really well. Sometimes distractions are good.

Marsha Cooper said...

Squirrel happens to me all the time. I'm going to have to remember to yell squirrel each time LOL