Saturday, February 3, 2024

From Green to Red - RSC February Color

 HAPPY SCRAPPY FEBRUARY! 
How did it become February already? I'm sure you've noticed; February has 29 days - leap year - more time for quilting!

February means a new RSC (Rainbow Scrap Challenge) color, and RED is chosen by Angela at soscrappy.blogspot.com

Since February 1 was midweek, we got some extra days playing with GREEN (RSC January color)
It has been a long time since I participated in a BOM (Block-Of-the-Month. I did not intend participating in any this year either, but then I came across Sherri McConnel's A Quilting Life BOM 2024. A new block is posted first Monday of each month. 
I think this BOM is perfect for using scraps as well as the RSC monthly colors. 


The pattern for each block features two sizes; 8 and 16 inches. 
I opted for the 16 inches, hence more fabric used! lol 
I struggled a bit with the small star spikes. Although they are all different green fabric, I noticed afterwards I could have paid more attention to the placement, i.e. there are two almost same green color next to each other at the top right corner / spikes. Those two could have been a tad darker too. Oh well, done is done! 
I running out of neutral / white / cream as background fabric. Moda Marbles came to rescue again! Here I've used 'Flag Ivory'. I had a look at the new Moda Marbles color chart 2023 and 'Flag Ivory' is amongst many colors not printed anymore.

After making the first BOM block, I decided to do the 4 Scrap Jar blocks in RED. It's a good start using some of those (accumulated over the years) 2" squares. I also get to use some already cut 4" squares for the star spikes and background. 



I really like how they turned out in RED


I've made some Zipper blocks too.

The sun is finally shining after all the rain we had from those two cyclones. It has dried up a bit and this morning we did some long overdue yard work. 

Linking up with Angela and the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) 2024



12 comments:

Jambearies said...

So much fun!!! I love all of the blocks you've been working on, and appreciate the link to the BOM. What will you do with the zipper blocks? I don't think I've seen those in a quilt before. Keep up the good work!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I need to get busy on my two RSC projects as like you say February is a short month!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your red ScrapJar Stars are beautiful! And the zipper blocks, too - I have those on my list for this coming week as well. Raining here in Northern Colorado today - although in February it really should be snowing!

Jenny said...

Such pretty star blocks. I hope you have seen the last of the bad weather now.

Dorothy L. Wills said...

I like your red blocks. Makes me want to make another red and white quilt. Always so classic.

Solomae said...

Love the red blocks and also the zipper blocks! The BOTM sounds like fun!

Sara said...

I love a good BOM project, and yours has a terrific start already.

Char said...

Those red blocks are great and so is that green one. We’ve got sun here for a change too!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Glad you escaped the worst of the storms. I love the star design you're using and I suppose it's fitting that red would be the colour for February.

Karen S said...

The stars and the zipper blocks are both looking good. A great start for this month.
Enjoy the sunshine.

time4stitchn said...

Lots of lovely scrap blocks. Nicely done! And then you will have so many quilts to put together at the end of the year. I like making individual blocks each month, but am not making any this year. I have to put mine together from previous years.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your blocks are gorgeous! You're working on some great projects.