Thursday, May 2, 2024

Pin in the Quilt - YIKES!

Finally! A UFO is under the needle!


This quilt was a result of the RSC - Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2023.
I had all those purples I wanted to use and ended up making two purple quilts. 
After the tops were done, both were put away. The main reason I wasn't sure how to quilt them. 

2-3 weeks ago I pulled the tops out from their 'hiding places' and got both sandwiched. The biggest one, the one I'm currently quilting, has a partly pieced backing (to use up more purple). It wasn't enough for the backing (no other fabric in my stash suitable), I did purchase a 108" wide backing, just enough for both quilts. 

To get a pieced backing straight can be a real PITA! 
Fortunate I have a big dinner table turned into my sewing table. I tape part of the backing to the table, mark the center and the four sides. I mark the backing center with a long pin, then add the batting and top. Since I always thread baste quilts before quilting, I have figured out long pins are much better (for me) compared to safety pins to hold the three layers together before thread basting. 
I don't have any photos from the preparation for this quilt. However, I did a blog post some years ago, for another quilt. To get an idea how it works for me. 

I'm very careful to remove all the pins after the quilt is thread basted.


I thought I had removed all pins on this one, but to my surprise and horror (!), the pin in the center of the backing was overseen! Yikes! It was between the batting and backing!
I noticed the pin when I started quilting (I start quilting from the center). Thank goodness I discovered it before the quilting was done at that specific area! 
I had to open up some of the thread basting from one end to the center, put my hand between the backing and batting to get that darn pin out! 
(the photo shows the pin after it was removed from inside the layers).

This quilt seems taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R to quilt! 
I decided on straight seams, which I think suits the quilt. It is made of HST (Half-Square-Triangles) in scrappy white / cream and a variety of purples. All the white /cream is quilted.


 I decided to quilt inside each purple HST! My goodness me! Why did I decide on that?! Because I know it'll look good when it's done! 


Variety of purple Masterpiece and King Tut being used for the HST.
(Sneak peek of the backing).

Threads to be buried by hand, because I don't like the look done on the sewing machine. 
My goal was getting it done by April. That didn't happen! New goal date; middle May! 
 

 

3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I found a pin in one of my quilts once and it was already on my quilting frame - I don't know how but I left a pin in from piecing and it was never noticed I had already pressed the top and had it on the frame I was half way done quilting and bumped it with my hand I had to reach in from the side and stretch and stretch until I could reach it. If I couldn't get it out that way I would have had to unroll the top and take it out and re pin the quilt to the frame
You are lucky you were able to get it.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh no - I always live in fear that I leave a pin in something because I know how difficult they are to get out. So glad you were able to rescue yours!

Chantal said...

Oh! That sneaky pin! Love the quilting and the quilt looks gorgeous. I hope you will show us more pictures once it is all done. Enjoy! ;^)