Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Pineapple Quilt under the Needle and Other UFO updates

My 2024 goal is to finish some UFOs.
Beginning January, my UFO list looked like this! Not very uplifting, right?!
There has been other funnier things to work on and that famous squirrel has popped in off and on too! 

No more pink RSC for me (here and here)! Except a small update to be posted Saturday. That means I can concentrate on other pending things. 

Yesterday I pulled out the scrappy pineapple quilt. It was already thread basted (last year), and set aside because I wasn't sure how to quilt it. I didn't feel for doing the easy meandering or loopy swirls quilting, it needed to be something else. 


Then I came across Mary Huey's blogpost where she shows how she has quilted a pineapple quilt. Her quilt is beautiful, isn't it?!
I tried to follow her diagram, first the 'green line'. Poop! Mathematics and such have never been my thing, I could not figure out how it was done! Worst brain fart ever!!! 


Well, I did start eventually, the light areas, where I've quilted 'diamonds'. I've done the short side and two rows on the long side. So far I like it. At least I was able to do it (short side) from one side to the other in one go. It's here I messed up, so for the long side I have to quilt one 'diamond' at a time (more threads to bury! Sigh!). 
I have to figure out how I want to do the dark areas. On my domestic 'dear Nina', I'm not going to attempt the 'twist and turn' red lines as you can see in Huey's diagram! That would be too much wrestling! 

Here's an update of finished UFOs: 

#23 - Norwegian Flag Table Runner - finished January 9, 2024
#10 - Blue & White Irish Chain Quilt - finished January 2024
#24 - Small Gnome Quilt - finished May 2024
#20 - Bases Loaded Purple Quilt - finished May 13, 2024

I was going to take photos today, but the weather does not cooperate; rain showers and gusts up to 31 mph. 


...and this is 'Miss Sophie', checking out my sewing extension table and ruler! She's a rescue, feral Cat-Mama left her in our garden. I believe she's born middle January, still a crazy loving kitty! 

 

7 comments:

Julierose said...

I only have a domestic machine ("Helga") to quilt with also. ;)))
It has a pretty big harp though--but I prefer to hand quilt my small pieces...and just use it for the larger, harder to handle ones.
I like how you quilted those lines on the lighter pineapples--very nice...this should be a lovely quilt!! :00 Hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

when you have a domestic machine you must quilt whatever is easiest for you I think - you will be glad to have the pineapple quilt done.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Love the scrappy look of the pineapples. It's going to be a beauty when it's quilted.
Such a cute wee helpmate for your sewing room!

Mary said...

You are on track to finish a UFO each month! Right now the squirrels are winning for me.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your Scrappy Pineapple is gorgeous, Astrid. I think the diamond quilting is fabulus for this quilt. Aah Miss Sophie is adorable! Have a very lovely day. Hugs

Preeti said...

It is perfect that you completed pinks early this month. Now you can play with Sophie!

time4stitchn said...

Love your pineapple quilt! Lots of time was invested in the making of it! WOW! I think your quilting highlights the design. Keep on stitching!