Saturday, March 9, 2024

Seeing PURPLE all week!

 Angela over at Superscrappy has chosen PURPLE for March' RSC (Rainbow Scrap Challenge).

Purple has never been a favorite, hence there's no stack of purple in my stash. Either one likes purple, or not. After I started quilting, I must admit I'm growing on purple, with all its shades. Interesting history about purple here

Last week, we had 4-5 days glorious weather and when that happens this time of the year, we always ask 'what's wrong?' We took advantage of the sunny days and spent a couple of days yard working. It feels good being outside, dig in the soil and get dirty hands! I love that! It's a nice break from quilting. However, after 11-12 a.m., it is usually too hot working outside.
After a couple of days break, another few hours were spent in the garden. I did some weeding and cut off all the branches on two lemon (Rodrigues lemon) trees. Both trees had been attacked by some bugs and the only way was to remove the branches. They are a pain to cut, with all its thorns. 

Except from yard work (I don't have to mention house work, do I?! lol) and a couple of walks to the neighbor village Rose Hill (3.7 miles / 6 km return), I've been playing with purple. 


Scrap Jar blocks in PURPLE
I used some of my own cut 2 inches purple and some from swaps to make each 16-patches unique. 


Split-9 blocks were made too


...and some Zipper Blocks
Purple has a lot of shades, and I must admit I'm not good at some of them. For example, #3 from left (last row) is a Moda Marbles 'Currant', I've had a hard time deciding whether it is purple, or red? It looks more red on this photo than in real life... 
Oh well, if it is red, it doesn't really matter, does it?! It's scrappy!!! 


Bowties and pinwheel blocks for 'Keep the Home Fires Burning'


4-patches, 9-patches and Friendship Star blocks for same.
For this one, I have to make some bowties, pinwheels, friendship stars, 9-patches in red and green.


... and there's a new BOM block from Sherri McConnel, 'A Quilting life'. 

I don't have a big variety of purple left, after I made this quilt last year. 


I thought I had a photo of the flimsy, but can't find any, except the last photo is this post. OK, let it be a secret! lol 
My goal this month is getting the three layers together and quilt it (she said hopefully!). 
About 3 weeks to go, so let's see how that pans out. 

Linking up with Angela and the RSC - Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2024

HAPPY CREATIVE WEEKEND! 



15 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Purple definitely has a lot of shades - I've had trouble getting them all to play well together, too! But I figure in scrappy quilts, anything goes. You ended up with a lot of pretty blocks this week!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

well from the purple you have you made a big variety of blocks - some of those patterns are favorites of mine

Chantal said...

You sure sew a lot of blocks for someone who doesn't have lots of purple fabric. Well done! Those funny purple fabrics that look like purple or red depending on their neighbours, I have them too. I call that raspberry purple or purpleberries! I have enough to make a crumb block this time around as I try to keep them separated from the "real" purple. Enjoy! ;^)

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Jenny said...

No purple stash, you say? You have certainly produced a lot of lovely purple blocks, you've been busy, busy, plus gardening too.

Char said...

Wow Astrid that’s a lot of blocks. Good that you got to dig in the garden, I can’t wait till I can do the same.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your purple blocks. You're making quite a wide variety of different blocks. I love seeing them.

The Cozy Quilter said...

You must have had lots of purple scraps to make all those blocks! I tend to divide my purples into two piles…purple and magenta (the colour wheel calls it red-violet) Some scraps seep to be partway between the two and are harder to categorize. We had a bit of snow on the weekend so no gardening here yet. Have a great week.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

So many lovely purple blocks, in all the shades! Nice work!

Jeanna said...

You had an impressive amount of purples to use in so many blocks. They all look great.

time4stitchn said...

You sound so much like me. I am not a fan of purple and had to collect fabric to fill that hole in my stash. I never liked the color, but now accept that I need it in quilting. We, too are having a break in the weather (50s today), but no yard work will be done here. I know we will get many more dreary cold streaks.

Andee Neff said...

Holy cow, that is a lot of purple blocks. Beautiful!

Deb A said...

Purples do have so many pretty shades. You have done a great job working with purples. All the blocks are beautiful.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

For not liking purple you have a lot in your stash! Purple (and blue) are my favourite colours although for some reason I don't have much purple available to work with. Love your blocks!

Karen S said...

I am pleased you had some good weather and were able to make the most of it.
Lovely work with your purples!