Saturday, January 14, 2023

RSC Week #2 - Blues Updates

 It's the Blue month.

I have not started anything new. I have 3 blue UFO's I hope to finish this year (previous post). I'm determined to work on those - until I get fed up with them! LOL Well, I hope that won't happen, because I love blues. 

The last week I have worked on 'I've got the Blues'


I've made 3 split star blocks (total 5)


 and 1 log cabin block (total 5).


I have cut all the dark blue and part of the light blue for the remaining 23 split star blocks. Some strips in both colors are cut for the log cabin blocks too. I don't have a good variety of light blues. In spite of being on strict fabric diet this year, I've ordered a blue fat quarter bundle (17 FQ's) from the UK (Because I need more light blues to finish this quilt!). It's on sale too, lucky me! It should arrive beginning February, depending on Royal Mail's backlog from the strikes last year. Not sure if they are still on strike, anyone knows?  

Dear 'Nina' (my Bernina 440 QE) went to the SPA Thursday (this week), expected to return home by next week. Servicing is long overdue, I think last time was 2017! YIKES! Lately I've noticed the stitches are a bit uneven and thread tension seems not  to stay where it's set. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious, just a proper cleaning / servicing! 


As you may know; I hate making plans, because they always fail! What I want to do while 'Nina' is at the Spa, is to prepare the flimsies for quilting. Since the RSC color for this month is blue, I'll start with the Irish Chain quilt. This is how it looked Thursday morning.


And this morning (Saturday); thread basting done! 


Next up is the scrappy pineapple flimsy


...and the New York Beauty flimsy. 
I just pulled out the backing for this one, but realized I have to add two pieces together to get it wide enough. So, how do I do that without Dear 'Nina'?! MIL next door may come to rescue with her vintage Singer! 

Linking up with Angela and the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2023






14 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love that New York Beauty and all of the rest of them, you have some good projects going on there - hope your fabric doesn't take forever to arrive

Maggie said...

Beautiful blue blocks and amazing quilts. I just love that you live on an island and even with the heat you are basting quilts? Sounds like what I did in South Africa. We have been in Canada sixteen years, with snow and very cold winters here. Most quilts get quilted only from autumn until spring.

Mari said...

I love the split stars! And I'm happy to see that someone else still bastes quilts with thread. It's the best way to go!

Ivani said...

Pretty blues ready to go into beautiful blocks. OWO I love the split stars.
Have fun preparing those pretty flimsies for quilting.
Have a nice weekend!

Char said...

Love those blue log cabin blocks and the pineapple quilt is beautiful!

Fiona said...

Great progress on the blue quilts and getting those flimsies together.....
Hugz

The Joyful Quilter said...

Awesome idea to work through your Dark/Bright BLUE UFOs!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

You are a piecing machine!!! You have got a lot accomplished and all of your blocks look so lovely.

Jenny said...

You have got a whole lot there to keep you busy for a while! Do hope your machine comes back as good as new after the service.

Chantal said...

I love your blues, Astrid. I too have to make some blue log cabin blocks but nothing is cut yet. They are the alternate block in Idaho Square Dance. I hope the blue bundle comes quickly and that Nina comes back in top shape and ready to quilt. Enjoy! ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those Split Stars are a neat design! I haven't seen those before. A big basting party sounds like a good idea while your machine is at the spa, too.

scraphappy said...

So many projects to keep you busy while your machine is away for service. Love the many shades of blue. What a fun way to start the year!

Sarah said...

Great projects. I’m really taken with those split stars!

Jeanna said...

Great start on blue blocks. I love the scrappy pineapple quilt!