Wednesday, January 18, 2023

While waiting for 'Nina'....

 ...to return from the Spa....


The Scrappy Pineapple Quilt (UFO #3) is thread basted


Snowman Wall Hanging (UFO #18) is thread basted

I have another UFO (the NYB quilt) to be sandwiched. Two pieces of the backing fabric has to be pieced together


I borrowed MIL's vintage Singer. We are not sure how old the machine is, she bought it in 1956, the year she got married. Actually it was a gift from her late husband. 


We have tried all day trying to set the thread tension right. MIL came to rescue, but no way is it possible to get it right. I think next step is to change the needle to a lower number and adjust the bobbin a bit. 
Update: That didn't work either and my patience has expired! lol 
I have to wait for 'Nina' to return.

I have two FINISHED UFOs


'Winter Wonderland' (LHN) 

and


'Through the Woods' (LHN)
I struggled doing the French Knots on the snowmen. I don't know how many times I redid them, in the end they look OK enough. 

Yesterday I pulled out another stitchery. I think I bought the pattern in 2008 or 2009


At the end of 2010 I went to Norway and while there I bought fabrics in reds, browns and creams for the blocks. Take a look here, photos from the quilt shop in Oslo.
I don't know if I should call it a UFO since I've not done any preparation, except buying fabrics and embroidery floss?! But that is prep also, isn't it? Yes, I think it is a UFO! lol


This is why it has been stored in the closet all these years; tracing the pattern on to the fabric! I don't have a lightbox and I dreaded taping it all to the window for best light. Yesterday I decided to give it another try, and to my excitement I was able to trace it without taping it to the window! 
I'm using Moda Marbles - I think it is 'cream' - for the background. The fabric is thin enough to see the pattern underneath. I cut the pattern (it came in one big folded sheet) into each section, taped it to the top on the long buffet (in front of a window), then taped the fabric over and traced the pattern without any problem at all! YEAH! 
Next step is the iron on the stabilizer. I bought it in Norway too and I have no clue what it is called. It's loosely woven with glue on one side. 


I'm using overdyed floss from ThreadWorx for the stitchery; rustic brown cherry. Isn't that floss yummy?! 
This project is not done in a jiffy, it measures 51.5 x 57.5 inches / 131 x 146 cm. The goal is getting it done in time for Christmas. Let's see how that works out! 

We are in for rainy weather / possible cyclone (current status from JTWC: tropical cyclone, yet to be named) for the rest of the week. Perfect weather staying inside and stitch!



9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks like you have enough to work on until you get your machine back from the shop. that is a cute old sewing machine too bad you couldn't get it to work. When do you go back to Norway it seems I remember you saying back then it had something to do with your visa

Jeanna said...

Wow! Your embroidery piece is going to be amazing. Hope you share the process as you go along. You are getting a lot done while waiting for Nina...she'll be so proud.

Fiona said...

You have a lovely range of projects on the go. I hope you can get that machine working - what a treasure to have.
Hugz

Gene Black said...

You can find the age of that Singer Featherweight by using the serial number and the chart on this page https://singer-featherweight.com/blogs/schoolhouse/dating-your-featherweight-machine
That link also has links to manuals for the machine.

I wish I were close by, I love the challenge of getting the tension correct. Are you certain you are threading it correctly? That was an issue I had/have with mine.

Gene Black said...

Oh yes, the thread goes thru the needle from right to left - which is opposite of modern machines. That alone will mess up the stitching if it is done incorrectly.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Love that scrappy pineapple quilt! I have a featherweight but I rarely use it. I think I need to take a class. I have a Bernina that I love and it's so easy to sew on it. Your cross stitching is beautiful. You always have the prettiest projects!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have a lot of pretty projects going on, but I really love Over the River and through the Woods! That one will be quite an accomplishment. Glad the tracing is going well - soon you'll be stitching away!

Vireya said...

It's a shame you didn't get that lovely old machine sewing well. I hope your regular machine will be back home soon.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What fabulous projects you are working on Astrid and what a lovely machine and a treasure ; I am so sorry that it there were some challenges in using it. Your LHN stitches are so darling. I do have them on my to do list. Have a great weekend.