Saturday, September 26, 2026

182 Day Solstice Challenge - UFO#15 FINISHED!

Pat Sloan's '182 Day Solstice Challenge' is FINISHED! 
This is UFO #15 on my UFO list 2026

I'm so glad I did this quilt in RSC colors. 
I really love how it turned out.


I changed the layout a little bit, for not to get blocks with the same colors next to each other. Two (the turquoise blocks at the top) are a bit close, but that's OK.

Here are some of the blocks


Block #9 - Among the Stars


Block #8 - Never ending love


Block #5 - Gramma Anna's Basket


Block #10 - The Coffee Shop


Block #22 - Weather Vane


Block # 19 - Board Games


Block #12 - Jacob's Ladder
Block #11 - Quilt Math (top right)
Block #23 - Eureka! (bottom right)


Some other blocks


Pieced backing


I have used squares and rectangles in brown and red.

Size: Approximately 85 inches / 215 cm square

All fabrics and thread used are from my stash
Batting was purchased

All blocks are custom quilted on my domestic sewing machine

First block: May 2024
Last block: April 2026
Flimsy: April 2026
Thread basted: August 2026
Quilted: September 2026
FINISHED: September 23, 2026

Thread used: 
King Tut: 926, 956, 958, 962, 963, 977, 997, 982, 1017, 1020
Masterpiece: 118, 134, 149, 159, 160, 162, 168, 176,  180, 183
Mettler: 0611, 0667, 0732

****************

Linking to:
 



26 comments:

scraphappy said...

Congratulations on your finish! It is a beautiful collection of blocks that come together to make a stunning quilt. Thanks for the individual block details. It helps to see each part.

Kat Scribner said...

OMGosh, Astrid. Your colorful Solstice quilt is beautiful ! and that backing is another quilt itself. This is truly a great finish!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Solstice quilt is a beauty, Astrid! I love all the different blocks and the beautiful color. Your pieced backing is amazing! Hooray for a big finish!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You are definitely on a roll! I really like this one - not only the pattern(s) themselves but also the wonderful colours. Well done!

Carolyn said...

So, so, so petty! I love it.

Sharon said...

It's a beautiful quilt!

Julierose said...

What a neat top you've finished--you are really moving along so well on your UFO finishing journey, Astrid...I am still moving slowly on mine;((( Today I will not be sewing much (just my COL full moon block) as we are in that Nor'Easter. We are lucky to have a generator as the power went off at 7 a.m. So far so good--no damage for us....hugs, Julierose

sue s said...

Your quilt looks nice and colorful! I did this one along with Pat Sloan but didn't finish it until the following year so it was "Winter Solstice" for me! I didn't know about the RSC at that point.

Theresa J Johnson said...

I loved looking at your blocks. You get my color sense.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love the cat in the middle of that one you showed.

Jenny said...

That's beautiful Astrid, you have done a wonderful job. The pieced backing looks great too, that was a lot of extra work. My daughter's best friend and hubby have just been for a holiday in Mauritius, how about that!

Chantal said...

Congrats on this amazing finish! I love this quilt but the backing is almost as interesting. You sure put a lot of time (pain) and scraps in the backing. I just LOVE it. Both sides. Bravo! ;^)

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love the blocks in this quilt. It looks great! The pieced backing you made is fantastic! It's like a surprise for the back!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a finish! The back could be the front! WOW!!! I too love that it is RSC blocks/colors! Well done!!!!

greaterexp said...

What a wonderful finish! It's a lovely quilt.

Jeanna said...

Amazing finish, Astrid. The pieced backing is as stunning as the front. Well done!

Bonnie said...

You have done a marvelous job on this quilt. The colors are so bold and fun. And, then you made your backing too. Wow, girl, you are a great scrap user! Give yourself a pat on the back for a wonderful job!

Anne-Marie said...

Wow, it's gorgeous! I love that it's like two quilts in one. Well done!

maggie fellow said...

really wonderful

Astrid said...

Thank you, Sharon!

Astrid said...

Thank you, Theresa!

Astrid said...

Thank you, Chantal! It was a fun quilt to make in RSC colors. I enjoyed making the pieced backing too. After cutting all the pieces, it went together rather quickly.

Astrid said...

Thank you!

Susie H said...

What a beautiful finish! The scrappiness lent itself well to following RSC colors. You managed to distribute the colors nicely. What's next? Hahaha

Marsha Cooper said...

It looks great! I intended to do a top with the colors this year, now I'm not sure,

Astrid said...

Thank you, Marsha! My anti-virus program prevents me from reading your blog, please check if there's any bugs on your computer.